Our mission is to help people everywhere find a job and company they love. In the process, we’re transforming the workplace experience through the power of transparency and further cementing ourselves as the worldwide leader in employer branding and insights. By choosing a career at Glassdoor, you’ll be directly contributing toward our vision for a world where transparency empowers the workforce and motivates companies to become better employers.
Please note: This role may be open to remote hiring. Our office locations are in San Francisco, CA; Chicago, IL; Uniontown, OH; London, UK; and Dublin, Ireland.
About the Role
We are looking for a hardworking Senior Engineer to join our growing Data Engineering team. The ideal candidate has significant experience in building scalable data platforms that enable analytics, data science and data products. You must have strong, hands-on technical expertise in a variety of technologies and the proven track record to fashion robust, scalable solutions. You should have a passion for continuous quality improvement.
We embrace a wide variety of technologies and work very closely with data scientists and business partners to deliver end to end solutions. Although this is an individual contributor role, we are a tightly knit team who widely collaborate with one another. If you are interested in a fast paced environment, the latest technologies, and fun data problems, come join us!
For more information about some of the exciting technology work being done at Glassdoor, check out our Engineering Blog!
What You’ll Do
- Design and develop big data applications using a variety of different technologies.
- Develop logical and physical data models for big data platforms.
- Automate workflows using Apache Airflow.
- Write data pipelines using Apache Hive, Apache Spark.
- Create solutions on AWS using services such as Lambda, API Gateway, Kinesis etc.
- Participate in rotational on-call support.
- Provide ongoing maintenance and enhancements to existing systems.
- Learn our business domain and technology infrastructure quickly.
- Document, share your knowledge freely and proactively with others in the team.
What You’ll Bring
- A commitment to add to our culture of DEI
- 5+ years of hands-on experience with developing data warehouse solutions and data products.
- 2+ years of hands-on experience developing a distributed data processing platform with Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Airflow, Kafka, etc.
- 2-3 years of hands-on experience in modeling and designing schema for data lakes or for RDBMS platforms.
- 2+ years of experience using Python as a programming language.
- Experience with scripting languages: Perl, Shell, etc.
- Practice working with, processing, and managing large data sets (multi TB/PB scale).
- Exposure to test driven development and automated testing frameworks.
- Background in Scrum/Agile development methodologies.
- Capable of delivering on multiple priorities with little supervision.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong desire to add to our culture of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science or equivalent experience.
Nice To Have
- Experience building customer facing products, machine learning pipelines or data products.
- Experience working with Tableau, Looker or other data visualization software.
- Familiarity with AWS or GCS technologies.
- Ability to program in multiple programming/scripting languages: Python, Java, JS, Scala, etc
- Be passionate about or have contributed to open sourced engineering projects in the past.
Compensation and Benefits
Base Salary Range*: $130,500 - $195,700
- Glassdoor base salaries are targeted to the market 75th percentile for technical roles and the 65th percentile for non-technical roles. In other words, 65-75% of comparable organizations in our industry will pay less.
Annual Bonus Target**: 10%
**Bonuses are paid in 6-month intervals, aligning with bi-annual performance evaluations
Generous Restricted Stock Units (RSU):
***Restricted Stock Units (RSU) are awarded at hire and may be refreshed annually. Additionally, as a pay-for-performance company, there are additional RSU grant awards for the very top performers.
Health and Wellness: 100% employer-paid premiums for employee medical, dental, vision, life, short and long-term disability, select well-being programs, along with 80% employer-paid premiums for all dependents.
- Generous paid time off programs for birthing and non-birthing parents are provided, along with paid injury/illness leave and paid family emergency leave.
- Coverage begins at the start of employment. After 48 months of continuous employment, 100% of all premiums for you and your dependents can be employer-paid!
Work/Life Balance: Open Paid Time Off policy, in addition to 15-20 paid company holidays/year
Investing in Your Future: 401(k) plan with a company match up to $5,000 per year, subsidized fertility and family planning services, and discounted legal assistance services.
Our Company Values and Commitments
- Transparency: We are open and honest. We share information – the good and the bad – so we can continuously learn, collaborate and make the right decisions. Pay bands, our compensation philosophy, and employee feedback polls are shared publicly.
- Innovation: We actively pursue new and different ways to further Glassdoor’s mission. We forge our own path by challenging the status quo. The ultimate goal is not just to change how we operate at Glassdoor, but for every employer to follow our lead!
- Good People: We work together with integrity, respect and compassion for one another. We have fun together! We are inclusive, fair and humble while remaining confident. We do the right thing, period.
- Grit: We are resilient, inventive and fearless. We see challenges as opportunities. With passion and courage, we come together to get the job done.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: We are dedicated to building a company that is more diverse and representative of society at large. Glassdoor externally publishes our Diversity & Inclusion report and information about our employee population to hold ourselves accountable to our dedication. We also provide programs and resources to build a greater sense of belonging for our employees.
Glassdoor is committed to equal treatment and opportunity in all aspects of recruitment, selection, and employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, age, sex, marital status, physical or mental disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran or military status, or any other category protected under the law. Glassdoor is an equal opportunity employer; committed to creating a community of inclusion, and an environment free from discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.
US & Ontario Only
Where legally permitted, Glassdoor requires all employees who report to a workplace, or travel and/or attend in-person meetings, including client visits, to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. For positions that can only be performed at a Glassdoor office, candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide acceptable proof of vaccination before their first day of employment as a condition of employment. Glassdoor will consider requests for reasonable accommodation as required under applicable law. To qualify as being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, two weeks should have elapsed since receiving the second dose (or any government recommended booster shot) in a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series, or since receiving a single dose (or any government recommended booster shot) in a single dose COVID-19 vaccine.