GiveDirectly (GD) provides cash grants directly to people living in extreme poverty. GD has raised over $800M since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 1.2 million recipients, and launched offices in 11 countries. We’re continuing expansion across the Global South. Over the past decade, GD has also supported large-scale, experimental research, expanding the evidence that cash has a positive short and long-term impact on recipients. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company, while the growing cash transfer movement (and GD’s leading role within it) has been featured in the New York Times Magazine, This American Life, Foreign Affairs, and The Economist.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and agile. We work alongside 750+ individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. Team members at GiveDirectly attest that diversity, equity, and inclusion are not just buzzwords, but a fundamental part of our culture and values. We actively seek to recruit individuals from the communities we serve, and use DEI as a lens in our hiring practices, programs, and initiatives. Our goal is to maintain a workplace where everyone can bring their authentic selves to work, and feel valued and respected for who they are. We continue to grapple with balancing inclusivity of all cultures and experiences while maintaining cohesion in our values. While there is much that we are still learning, we take care of one another, have fun, as well as provide flexible working hours wherever possible.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or any other status protected by law.
Overview: We are seeking a passionate and dynamic AFM-Quality/Tech who will be responsible for the provision of first-level technical support for the GiveDirectly Uganda Office generally, and the Uganda Call Center specifically. The AFM-Quality/Tech will maintain the different computer networks, providing technical support, and ensuring that the Call Center technical systems run smoothly. The Call Center is central to GiveDirectly’s operations; efforts to register recipients on different programs, follow them up after receiving cash transfers, and address their inquiries and concerns when they call the hotline are all routed through the Call Center. As such, we require an individual who will vigilantly ensure that the Call Center experiences minimal downtime. The AFM-Quality/Tech will also support the Procurement Office in an advisory capacity where IT-related procurement is concerned, recommend future improvements, and engage in training sessions for end-users.
Call Center Systems Management
- Call Center Studio & Vicidial:
- Create and manage system permissions and user accounts
- Install and configure phone systems/cloud based applications
- Oversee system performance and report generation
- Lead process improvements and modifications
- Develop and execute system backup and recovery plans to cater for downtimes
- Quality control i.e. checks and balances from admin view
- Run data analysis and reporting
2. SMS Platform (SMS Leopard):
- Create and manage system permissions and user accounts
- Onboard new Call Center personnel on the SMS platform
3. Apps/equipment installation and configuration
- Assist users in installing and configuring useful applications e.g. MS office, Bluestacks, Taroworks, etc. and train users on the installation process
- Resolve challenges that arise from the use of the applications
- Install and configure users on printers, copiers, and other equipment
4. Develop and maintain call center system documentation and maintenance
- Vicidial/Call Center Studio
- Server and Internet
5. Repair & Maintenance
- Setup new/old laptops i.e. installation of software e.g. MS office, Zoiper, etc.
- Liaise with external vendors to have repairs done in a timely manner
6. Preventive maintenance/system performance tuning
- Regular system disk clean-ups
- Adding, removing or updating user account information, resetting passwords, etc. in the call center servers/Laptops, etc.
- Applying operating system updates, patches, and configuration changes
- Regular call center server maintenance i.e. every after 3 months
7. Troubleshoot & resolve unforeseen IT related problems that come up
- Regularly advise & guide the Procurement Department on procurement of the right IT hardware and software e.g. laptops, phones, internet connection, etc.
- Monitor ongoing contracts with suppliers of IT related resources; timely communication on license renewals e.g. BSA VPNs, Call center support, Antivirus and other legal documentation
- Ensure compliance with quality standards by providing reports on the user experience for the items already in use to help advise Procurement on the next steps
- Maintain an updated record of IT materials and resources to help enhance management of IT inventory
- Develop training material and carry out necessary staff training on the new systems
- Provide end-user support for computer applications
- Serve as an escalation resource/answering technical queries and assisting users
Data & System Security Management
- Installation and running of antivirus updates and licenses
- Ensuring there is maximum server and network security and the Firewall is functioning optimally
- Assess potential risk and mitigation strategies
- Oversee secure data storage
- When necessary, support other countries in the onboarding of the call center systems.
- Advise on the necessary installation needs for the CCS, SMSLeopard, Bluestack/Taroworks
- Provide user training on the use of the solution/application, troubleshooting of challenges, etc.
- Offer preventive and corrective maintenance support
Data Analysis & Reporting
- Quality reports – Call Center Studio
- Performance reports – Call Center Studio /Salesforce
- Project reports - Salesforce
- Confidence when dealing with people, with well-developed written and verbal communication skills as well as analytical skills
- Communicate well with staff and vendors, exhibiting excellent listening skills
- Demonstrate high standards of professional behavior when dealing with vendors and staff
- Ability to investigate issues and requirements and identify and prioritize appropriate solutions
- Ability to adapt and adjust to changing processes, constantly seeking process improvement
- Ability to work flexible hours when required
- Ability to maintain detailed and accurate records
- Offer assistance to other employees in use of various technologies
- Ability to build professional relationships with key stakeholders and staff
- Demonstrated interest in technology advanced within the firm
- Detailed knowledge of industry best practices
- Demonstrated understanding of IT Management
- Relevant IT degree or industry experience
- Recipients first - We prioritize recipient preferences over those of donors or ourselves.
- Team next - We do what’s best for organizational - not individual - success.
- Be proactively candid - We say what we believe, and are honest in sharing information.
- Create positive energy - We strive to be a source - not drain - of energy for our colleagues.
- Think rigorously; act quickly - We are intellectually rigorous with a drive towards action - not debate.
- Accept reality. Propose solutions - We do not dwell on problems. We work actively to create solutions.
- Be productively ambitious - We take the risks to pursue industry-changing success, not incremental progress.
- Know yourself and grow - We recognize and accept our imperfections with a focus on growth.
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**Alignment with GD values
Read more about our ongoing diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts here and about our decision to move our central support teams to remote first here.
About the hiring process
Format: The hiring process follows the same general outline for all open roles:
First interview (30 mins)
Take home skills assignment (~2 hours)
Second interview (1 hour)*
Third interview (1 hour)*
Final interview (1 hour)
Reference checks (30 mins each)
*For some roles, second & third interviews are combined into a panel interview. If there are adjustments or variations on this process, those changes will be communicated during the first interview.
Venue: We conduct interviews over Google Meet with camera on (unless communicated otherwise).
Accessibility: Closed captioning is available during all Google Meet interviews, and interviewers will also post interview questions in the chat box throughout the call. If you need assistance accessing either of these features, please let your interviewer know at the start of your interview!
We’re committed to running an inclusive and accessible application process for all of our open roles. If there are questions or concerns you have about the accessibility of our hiring process, we warmly invite you to reach out to email@example.com.
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**