GiveDirectly (GD) provides cash grants directly to people living in extreme poverty. GD has raised over $800M since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 1.2 million recipients, and launched offices in 11 countries. We’re continuing expansion across the Global South. Over the past decade, GD has also supported large-scale, experimental research, expanding the evidence that cash has a positive short and long-term impact on recipients. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company, while the growing cash transfer movement (and GD’s leading role within it) has been featured in the New York Times Magazine, This American Life, Foreign Affairs, and The Economist.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and agile. We work alongside 750+ individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. Team members at GiveDirectly attest that diversity, equity, and inclusion are not just buzzwords, but a fundamental part of our culture and values. We actively seek to recruit individuals from the communities we serve, and use DEI as a lens in our hiring practices, programs, and initiatives. Our goal is to maintain a workplace where everyone can bring their authentic selves to work, and feel valued and respected for who they are. We continue to grapple with balancing inclusivity of all cultures and experiences while maintaining cohesion in our values. While there is much that we are still learning, we take care of one another, have fun, as well as provide flexible working hours wherever possible.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or any other status protected by law.
About this role
The finance team currently supports all financial activities in 10 countries in Africa. As a member of the global finance team, the role will be supporting our program teams and stakeholders.
He/ She will report to the Senior Finance Manager and will work with colleagues in the finance team to deliver on organizational goals.
We are looking for someone with a finance background who has a solid understanding of budgeting and budget tracking, has experience in donor reporting, has strong communication and analytical skills and has a solutions-oriented mindset.
Reports to: Senior Finance Manager
What you’ll do:
- Managing budgeting cycles and leading Budget to Actual conversations with Budget Owners.
- Leading donor reporting and regulatory reporting
- Promoting a strong, professional relationship with the stakeholders including programs teams, regulatory bodies and the Finance Team
- Provide support to the Finance team as required in order to meet the department’s objectives.
Risk / Compliance
- Monitoring country risks and designing controls to mitigate the risks
- Managing in-country audits and special reporting to donors and regulatory bodies
What you’ll bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, business, or equivalent practical experience.
- 5+ years of professional experience in accounting or finance, with a strong experience in Budgeting and reporting.
- Working language competence in English.
- Competence in Excel and financial & accounting software (e.g. Intacct, QuickBooks).
- Bonus: Proven experience working in a fast-paced, high volume, or matrix work environment.
- Alignment with GiveDirectly Values and active demonstration of our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity. We welcome and strongly encourage applications from candidates who have personal or professional experience in the low-income and/or historically marginalized communities that we serve.
Read more about our ongoing diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts here and about our decision to move our central support teams to remote first here.
About the hiring process
Format: The hiring process follows the same general outline for all open roles:
First interview (30 mins)
Take home skills assignment (~2 hours)
Second interview (1 hour)*
Third interview (1 hour)*
Final interview (1 hour)
Reference checks (30 mins each)
*For some roles, second & third interviews are combined into a panel interview. If there are adjustments or variations on this process, those changes will be communicated during the first interview.
Venue: We conduct interviews over Google Meet with camera on (unless communicated otherwise).
Accessibility: Closed captioning is available during all Google Meet interviews, and interviewers will also post interview questions in the chat box throughout the call. If you need assistance accessing either of these features, please let your interviewer know at the start of your interview!
We’re committed to running an inclusive and accessible application process for all of our open roles. If there are questions or concerns you have about the accessibility of our hiring process, we warmly invite you to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**