GiveDirectly (GD) provides cash grants directly to people living in extreme poverty. GD has raised over $800M since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 1.2 million recipients, and launched offices in 11 countries. We’re continuing expansion across the Global South. Over the past decade, GD has also supported large-scale, experimental research, expanding the evidence that cash has a positive short and long-term impact on recipients. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company, while the growing cash transfer movement (and GD’s leading role within it) has been featured in the New York Times Magazine, This American Life, Foreign Affairs, and The Economist.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and agile. We work alongside 750+ individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. Team members at GiveDirectly attest that diversity, equity, and inclusion are not just buzzwords, but a fundamental part of our culture and values. We actively seek to recruit individuals from the communities we serve, and use DEI as a lens in our hiring practices, programs, and initiatives. Our goal is to maintain a workplace where everyone can bring their authentic selves to work, and feel valued and respected for who they are. We continue to grapple with balancing inclusivity of all cultures and experiences while maintaining cohesion in our values. While there is much that we are still learning, we take care of one another, have fun, as well as provide flexible working hours wherever possible.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or any other status protected by law.
Priority Application Deadline: March 24, 2023
Location: This role is remote. Candidates must be based in or willing to travel about 15-20% of the time, primarily to New York, Seattle and San Francisco, where the majority of our donors are located.
About the role
We are seeking a mission-driven and entrepreneurial fundraiser to lead our individual giving function. In partnership with the President and senior staff, this role is responsible for all major fundraising through major donors. As someone passionate about shifting the status quo in the aid space, you’ll define the roadmap and vision for maximizing the cash we raise to deliver to recipients. In this capacity, you will own and scale our largest funding segment, a fast-growing pipeline already reaching $50M+ annual revenue, and manage a growing team of 5+ staff.
In this role, you will build exceptional relationships with key donors, plus bring a deep understanding of drivers of donor behavior. You will bring experience crafting a strategy, and working together with senior leaders of an organization to actualize it. You are an experienced people leader with a demonstrable track record of managing high performing teams and large fundraising pipelines. Our team is dedicated to shifting how and by whom decisions are made in the aid space. We believe elevating recipient choice is critical, as is demonstrably committing to transparency around metrics and evidence. We are looking for applicants who are deeply aligned with these objectives, and energized by the prospect of partnering with organizations that advance them.
Reports to: Executive Director
What you'll do:
- Define roadmap, vision, and execution to scale GiveDirectly’s major gifts giving portfolio of $50M+ annual revenue
- Manage a portfolio of major gift donors and prospects, cultivating and stewarding relationships to ensure long-term support.
- Lead strategy and long-term roadmap for building our portfolio of major donors, as well as stewardship plans for our current donors
- Amplify GiveDirectly brand by serving as spokesperson (e.g. media, conferences, donors) & owning select senior relationships
- Oversee process development to streamline pipeline management, donor acquisition and retention.
- Work closely with GiveDirectly's Board of Directors and other volunteers to engage them in the major gifts fundraising effort.
- Manage, develop, mentor, and grow team; with an eye for future thinking and scale
What you'll bring:
- Exceptional alignment to GD values, passion for our mission, and commitment to recipient dignity and empowerment
- 15+ years of professional work experience in similar role or function (fundraising, business development, sales, partnerships), with an eye towards forward-thinking and innovative fundraising strategies
- Proven leadership ability and management experience in building high performing teams as well as provide strategic advice to the Executive team on fundraising opportunities and budgets
- Experience working with a distributed team in a multicultural environment
- Exceptional relationship management skills: Ability to build and grow a network particularly within the individual giving space, both via establishing new relationships for GD and strengthening existing ones
- A strong track record of raising funds from major individual donors
- Interest in working as part of a growing company, with awareness about the opportunities and challenges that come with a highly adaptive environment
- Knowledge of fundraising principles, practices, and ethics, with a deep understanding of the importance of donor stewardship.
- Strong, succinct communications: Skilled in speaking, writing, presenting, and negotiating across multiple stakeholders
- Analytical problem solver: Looks at problems w/ analytical and iterative mindset, with strong framework for prioritization
In addition to the specific skills required for this role, we’re looking for candidates who are aligned with our GD Values, and who demonstrate our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity.
At GiveDirectly, we strive to pay our employees generously and equitably. We use an accredited third party salary aggregator to ensure that staff’s total compensation package (base compensation + bonus) falls within the 75th percentile of similar roles, at similar organizations. We also have a no negotiation policy to ensure we are paying staff equitably across roles.
- The United States base salary for this role is $250,000.
This role is fully remote, so if you are not based in the US, we will share an estimated salary benchmark for the country you are based in during the hiring process.
Read more about our ongoing diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts here and about our decision to move our central support teams to remote first here.
About the hiring process
Format: The hiring process follows the same general outline for all open roles:
First interview (30 mins)
Take home skills assignment (~2 hours)
Second interview (1 hour)*
Third interview (1 hour)*
Final interview (1 hour)
Reference checks (30 mins each)
*For some roles, second & third interviews are combined into a panel interview. If there are adjustments or variations on this process, those changes will be communicated during the first interview.
Venue: We conduct interviews over Google Meet with camera on (unless communicated otherwise).
Accessibility: Closed captioning is available during all Google Meet interviews, and interviewers will also post interview questions in the chat box throughout the call. If you need assistance accessing either of these features, please let your interviewer know at the start of your interview!
We’re committed to running an inclusive and accessible application process for all of our open roles. If there are questions or concerns you have about the accessibility of our hiring process, we warmly invite you to reach out to email@example.com.
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**