The GitLab DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 2,000+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
The Senior Manager, People Communications & Engagement will help advance our team member experience by ensuring both our communication and engagement activities strengthen GitLab’s culture. They will work cross-functionally to ensure information is available and accurate for all team members and that leaders across GitLab are aware of communication channels and best practices for managing change and engaging with their teams.
Don’t have a ton of knowledge about GitLab yet? Don’t worry. We have an extensive onboarding and training program at GitLab and you will be provided with necessary DevOps and GitLab knowledge to fulfill your role.
What you'll do in this role
- Drive a communications and engagement strategy, roadmap, and communications calendar to help maintain and improve team member engagement
- Lead, hire, and coach the growing people communications & engagement team
- Collaborate with various leaders and members of the Marketing and People teams to plan and improve company-wide team member communications including Slack, issue comments, and other asynchronous communication, Handbook education, company calls, etc.
- Help moderate internal communications across general & administrative teams to ensure GitLab values are upheld as well as compliance with our code of conduct
- Drive engagement activities that are intended to improve team member engagement and build culture
- Provide ‘internal PR’ support, including crisis communications
- Act as a communications consultant to team members to help develop campaigns for internal programs or initiatives (e.g. GitLab referral program)
- Curate and publish key internal news (e.g., “Here are the 3 things you need to know” digest) on a weekly basis
- Partner closely with the Talent Brand Manager to ensure integrity and cohesion between our external talent brand and internal team member experience and effectively articulate GitLab’s culture and value proposition
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to develop specific communication plans (e.g., work with People Business Partners and People Operations on Engagement Survey communication)
- Plan, communicate, and coordinate celebratory occasions, company communication initiatives, volunteer activities, and other team member engagement opportunities
We're looking for
- Relevant communications experience
- Demonstrate the capability to drive initiatives, develop thoughtful communication strategies, and deliver results at a senior level.
- Self motivated and works as a team of one.
- Demonstrated capability to deliver internal communications that are representative of company values and culture in a global or international setting
- Enthusiasm for leading internal communications in a unique, fully remote environment where email and face-to-face meetings are not the standard communication media
- Excellent narration and writing skills
- Ability to navigate cultural differences and build global but locally relevant solutions
- Experienced social and communication skills (verbal and written), across all levels with significant experience in executive level communications
- Excellent organizational skills, time management, and priority setting
- Deadline oriented, and able to work in a fast-paced environment with ever-changing priorities
- Ability to work as a Manager of one, as well as work collaboratively
- Proficiency in communication tools such as Slack, Zoom, and Google Workspace is a must
- You share and can role model our values, and work in accordance with those values
- Ability to use GitLab
- A shared interest in our values, and working in accordance with those values
Also, we know it’s tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You don’t have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.
The base salary range for this role’s listed level is currently $107,500 - $161,300 for Colorado residents and $107,500 - $161,300 for New York and New Jersey residents only. Grade level and salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data. See more information on our benefits and equity. Sales roles are also eligible for incentive pay targeted at up to 100% of the offered base salary.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.