The GitLab DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 2,000+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
Manager, Data Platform Description
The Data Platform Team (https://about.gitlab.com/handbook/business-technology/data-team/#the-data-platform-team) closely partners with various teams across GitLab to facilitate making better decisions faster by developing and maintaining a Big Data Platform.
The job description of this specialization includes all of the responsibilities for the **Manager, Data** role. In addition, responsibilities for the specialization include:
Manager, Data Platform Responsibilities
- Manage, lead, and develop a High-Performance Team, including day-to-day assignments, bi-weekly milestone planning, 1-1s, quarterly objectives, and annual reviews
- Manage operational components of the Data Platform to ensure updated data are available per established SLOs
- Work with all divisions to continually grow the value of our Data Platform by onboarding new data from our SaaS, Telemetry, Product, and Corporate systems
- Understand the big picture and demonstrate how your team supports it through prioritization, planning, and solutioning
- Participate in Monthly Key Reviews to represent Data and stay up-to-date on company developments
- Implement the DataOps philosophy in everything you do
- Define, collaborate and communicate key influences and impacts to technical and non-technical audiences
- Plan and prioritize projects and work amongst stakeholders throughout the organization and Data Platform Team members
- Assigning tasks across the team and advising team members on how to get to expected outcomes including data architecture and infrastructural recommendations
- Guide, help, and support Data Engineers in their daily job
- Own one or more operational areas of the Data Platform, measuring successful results against established SLOs
- Assigning tasks across the Data Platform Team and advising team members on how to achieve expected results including data architecture and infrastructural recommendations
Manager, Data Platform Requirements
The job requirements of this specialization include all of the requirements for the **Manager, Data** role. In addition, requirements for the specialization include:
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in a data analytics/engineering/science role
- 1+ years leading or managing a team of 3 or more data analysts/engineers/scientists
- Demonstrate ability to understand and communicate end-to-end data systems: from computing to ETL to Reporting to Analysis
- Exceptional experience creating and developing partnerships with internal team members toward the delivery of impactful analytics solutions
- Must be able to work in alignment with Americas timezones
- This is a hands-on role and requires experience as a Data Engineering, Data Infrastructure or Data Architecture Individual Contributor
- Ability to make technical (data, infrastructure or architecture) decisions regarding the direction of the project
- Experience leading end-to-end data projects like adding new data sources, updating core infrastructure and adding new technologies to our modern data stack
To view the full job description and its compensation calculator, view our handbook. The compensation calculator can be found towards the bottom of the page.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.