The GitLab DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,600+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
The Director of Strategy and Operations reports to the Chief of Staff to the CEO.
The Director of Strategy and Operations is a grade 10 role.
- Responsible for the success of 2-3 high priority, cross-functional initiatives at any given moment. For example, market entries, pricing and packing projects, important communications, and organizational realignments
- Fill in gaps in other parts of the business when there are short-term vacancies or a lack of relevant skills or capacity
- Collaborate cross-functionally with senior counterparts throughout the business
- Identify opportunities to improve business efficiency and make changes to improve the business
- Prepare materials (documents, decks) for the Chief of Staff to the CEO and the CEO
- Translate practical needs into technical and/or business requirements
- Execute on projects and ongoing assignments for the Chief of Staff to the CEO and/or CEO
- Demonstrate GitLab values in all work
- Track record of leadership independent of role
- Ability to work collaboratively and drive results with senior leadership
- Strategic and operational work experience
- Detail-oriented forward thinker
- Excellent written, verbal, and technical communicator
- Experience making data-driven decisions
- Able to manage multiple tasks with competing timelines and deliverables
- History of working cross-functionally to move projects forward
- Evidence of success in leading key business initiatives. Demonstrated ability to take a project from ideation through to implementation
- Experience at a strategy consulting firm and/or working across multiple functions at a fast growing company
- 8+ years of work experience. Ideally, 4+ years experience in high growth startup environments
- Familiarity with the industry is a plus
- Ability to use GitLab
- [Meetings shifted from CEO - hours spent in meetings decreases overtime by Chief of Staff to the CEO stepping in, supported by the Chief of Staff Team to the CEO
- Throughput - Issues or merge requests closed as measurement of projects iterated on
- Percent of Slack Messages that aren't Direct Messages
This is a cross-functional role, so team members will have exposure to broader parts of the organization. They may choose to join other teams. They may also be considered for the Chief of Staff to the CEO role as the Chief of Staff to the CEO completes the rotation.
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page
- Qualified candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call with one of our global recruiters
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 50 minute interview with a team member from another department
- Then, candidates will be invited to schedule a 50 minute interview with the Chief of Staff to the CEO and be asked to complete a homework assignment
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 50 minute interview with a member of our Engineering team and be asked to complete a product assessment
- Then candidates will be invited to schedule a 50 minute interview with our CLO or another member of the executive team
- Finally, candidates will meet with our CEO who will conduct the final interview
As always, the interviews and screening call will be conducted via a video call. See more details about our hiring process on the hiring handbook.
To view the full job description and its compensation calculator, view our handbook. The compensation calculator can be found towards the bottom of the page.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.