GitLab's DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,400+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
This position is remote based.
A brief overview:
At GitLab, developers are independent and self-organized individual contributors who work together as a tight team in a remote and agile way.
Most Engineers work on all aspects of GitLab, building features, fixing bugs and generally improving the product. The Foundations team mainly focuses on user-experience enhancements instead. However: We currently own one product feature Navigation & Settings. While we are a self-sufficient and autonomous team, we assume a cross-cutting role and regularly work with product teams across all of GitLab, which makes our work highly diverse and never boring. Due to the foundational nature of the work we are collaborating very closely with our Product Designers to improve the Design System Pajamas and its implementation GitLab UI.
Some projects we are currently working on currently/worked on in the past or are planning to work on:
- Migration of old HAML and Vue components to align with our Design System Pajamas.
- Deprecating Font Awesome icons in favor of our own SVG library.
- Improving dark mode.
- Auditing and updating button color, meaning, hierarchy, placement, and accessibility
- Improving Navigation & Settings
Future topics Foundations may work on:
- ToDos and Notifications
- Help us organizing and testing our Frontend related Rails helpers, make sure their implementation matches the output of their Vue counterparts
- Maintain and improve the existing implementations of Navigations and Settings
- Implement new components in GitLab UI based on our Design System and optimize existing components with aspects of performance, reusability and accessibility
- Collaborate with team members outside of the Foundation Team in order to achieve our goal of a unified, accessible and performant User Experience
An ideal engineering candidate -
- Fulfills the general requirements listed on the Fullstack Engineering Role
- Bonus: Experience in implementing components based on a Design System
- Bonus: Implemented reusable and well tested Rails helpers in the past and Form Helpers
- Bonus: Understanding accessibility on the Web
To view the full job description and its compensation calculator, view our handbook. The compensation calculator can be found towards the bottom of the page.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
For Colorado residents: The base salary range for this role’s listed level is currently $107,500 - $188,900 for Colorado residents only. Grade level and salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data. See more information on our benefits and equity. Sales roles are also eligible for incentive pay targeted at up to 100% of the offered base salary. Disclosure as required by the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, C.R.S. § 8-5-101 et seq.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.