GitLab's DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,400+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
As a Fullstack Engineering Manager in our Growth sub-department, you will directly manage an engineering team responsible for developing and running A/B tests as well as feature development across all stages in the GitLab devops lifecycle. The team consists of Fullstack Engineers responsible for backend and frontend changes. The Engineering Manager's responsibility is primarily their team. They need to be familiar with GitLab's underlying technologies and processes to be able to support their team, as well as be the final decisive vote in cases where the team is blocked on a decision.
Their primary focus is building a world-class team (hiring and coaching), and putting them in the best position to succeed. They must also efficiently coordinate across departments to accomplish collaborative goals.
The culture here at GitLab is something we're incredibly proud of. Some of the benefits you'll be entitled to vary by the region or country you're in. However, all GitLab team members are fully remote and receive a "no ask, must tell" paid-time-off policy, where we don't count the number of days you take off annually -- instead, we focus on your results. You can work the hours you choose, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. You can also expect equity compensation and a competitive salary. Our compensation calculator will be shared with selected candidates before any interview.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DIB) are fundamental to the success of GitLab. We want to infuse DIB in every way possible and in all that we do. We strive to create a transparent environment where all team members around the world feel that their voices are heard and welcomed. We also aim to be a place where people can show up as their full selves each day and contribute their best. With more than 100,000 organizations using GitLab, our goal is to have a team that is representative of our users.
What you'll do in this role
- Contribute to the overall direction of the Growth stage and play a key role in maturing GitLab's experimentation capability.
- Hire an incredible team that lives our values.
- Improve the happiness and productivity of the team.
- Hold regular 1:1s with team members.
- Ensure the quality, security and performance of the product is improved by your team
- Work on small code changes outside of the critical path.
- Solve technical problems of high scope and complexity with boring solutions. Everyone is responsible for finding ways to simplify and improve the features we own.
- Consider user experience throughout your work, to help make every feature lovable.
- Learn and possibly help shape "best practices" for the software industry.
- Collaborate with people across a variety of disciplines.
- Help define and improve our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Represent GitLab and its values in public communication around broader initiatives, specific projects, and community contributions.
- Provide mentorship for Junior and Intermediate Engineers on your team to help them grow in their technical responsibilities and remove blockers to their autonomy.
You should apply if you bring:
- Significant professional experience with Ruby on Rails.
- Strong technical background in Fullstack development as an engineer or manager.
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems.
- Demonstrated teamwork in a peak performance organization.
- Product company experience.
- Enterprise software company experience or startup experience.
- Computer science education or equivalent experience.
- Passionate about open source and developer tools.
- Exquisite communication skills.
- Leadership at GitLab.
- Experience in managing a remote team.
- Ability to use GitLab.
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
You'll stand out if you bring:
- Experience working as an engineer or engineering manager on Growth teams
- Experience building or working with a best in class A/B testing platform
Also, we know it's tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You don't have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.
Our hiring process for this Fullstack Engineering Manager, Growth position typically follows five stages. The details of this process and our leveling structure can be found on our job family page.
Country Hiring Guidelines
GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.