GitLab's DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,400+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
GitLab is looking for a Backend Engineer for each of the teams (License, Purchase, and Utilization) within the Fulfillment Sub-department who will focus on features and services which enable our customers to purchase GitLab licenses and products, provisioning, manage licenses for both self-managed and SaaS (including Cloud License activation/sync and provisioning of legacy licenses), and tooling that enables customers to get the most out of their subscription. Most backend developers work on all aspects of GitLab, building features, and generally improving the application.
In this role, you will develop features which span multiple systems working across the boundaries between GitLab, our suite of customer management applications, and third-party providers to provide a world-class subscription management experience for GitLab customers.
The Fulfillment Sub-department consists of 4 teams which manage the subscription purchase and renewal lifecycle, and the Purchase Backend team collaborates closely with Front Engineers to provide a delightful user experience to our customers.
Below are a selection of the initiatives that you may work on:
- Cloud Licensing v2
- Improve provisioning and onboarding of new sales-assisted GitLab.com subscribers
- Research feedback for future-dated amendments in Subscription Admin
- User Caps
- Improvements to Billable Members
- Seat Usage Vision
- Project Level Storage Visibility
- Develop features and improvements to the GitLab product in a secure, well-tested, and performant way.
- Collaborate with Product Management, Product Designers, Frontend Engineers, and other stakeholders to maintain a high bar for quality in a - fast-paced, iterative environment.
- Advocate for improvements to product quality, security, and performance.
- Solve technical problems of moderate scope and complexity.
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and - advocate for these standards through code review.
- Recognise impediments to our efficiency as a team, and propose and implement solutions.
- Ship small features and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other team members. Collaborate with the team on larger projects.
You should apply if:
- Professional experience with Ruby and Rails (required)
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, sufficient for success in a remote and largely asynchronous work environment
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about complex technical, architectural, and/or organisational problems and propose - thorough iterative solutions
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems
- Comfort working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process
- Demonstrated ability to onboard and integrate with an organization long-term
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset
- Effective communication skills: Regularly achieve consensus with peers, and clear status updates
- An inclination towards communication, inclusion, and visibility
- Experience owning a project from concept to production, including proposal, discussion, and execution.
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with other parts of the organization
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- Ability to use GitLab
- Ability to thrive in a fully remote organization
- Experience in a peak performance organization, preferably a tech startup
- Experience with license or subscriptions management
- Experience with SaaS billing
- Experience with the GitLab product as a user or contributor
- Product company experience
- Experience working with a remote team
- Enterprise software company experience
- Developer platform/tool industry experience
- Experience working with a global or otherwise multicultural team
- Computer science education or equivalent experience
- Passionate about/experienced with open source and developer tools
Also, we know it's tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You don't have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.
About the Development Team
It’s an exciting time to join our team. We're the world’s largest all-remote company, and we've been intentionally building our culture this way from the start. With more than 1,200 team members in 65+ countries, GitLab is a place where you can contribute from almost anywhere. We are an ambitious, productive team that embraces a set of shared values in everything we do.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.