People Business Partners (PBPs) are responsible for aligning business objectives with people solutions in the organizations they support. In many companies, the role is referred to as HR Business Partner (HRBP). Successful PBPs act as business professionals, team member champions, and change agents. PBPs are HR experts who partner with and advise the business by maintaining literacy about the business unit's financial position, its midrange plans, its way of operating, and its competition.
- Provides support and feedback to client groups, and consults with managers at all levels in areas of performance management, management training and coaching, organizational development, and employee relations. Typically supports 1 or more VPs across a function; may support a more senior executive based on organizational structure.
- Identifies great talent, internally and externally, who will raise the bar across GitLab. Mentors others both in the client group and in the People team.
- Quickly identifies business needs; develops and presents solutions to senior leaders to help drive results in the organization.
- Demonstrates ownership to develop and drive People programs and processes from start to finish that align with GitLab goals and values. Deliver meaningful results to the client group/s concise and timely.
- Manages and resolves complex employee relations issues. Conducts effective, thorough and objective investigations. Maintains in-depth knowledge of legal requirements. Escalates and engages Director PBP, CPO or Legal as needed.
- Analyzes trends and metrics in partnership with the People team to develop solutions, programs and policies. Raises concerns/trends to the PBP team, CPO and Legal as needed.
- Works closely with management and team members to improve work relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and retention.
- Provides guidance and input on business unit restructures, workforce planning and succession planning to support the business strategy.
- 5-10 years of relevant experience in a high growth, fast moving company where ongoing change is the norm, with at least 2-3 of those years supporting a global software sales organization with particular focus on Enterprise Sales, Commercial Sales and Customer Success.
- Partner with 1 or more Sales VPs on the people strategy for their organization.
- Provide support and guidance to people leaders at all levels within the sales organization (front line managers, mid-management, and senior executives).
- Experience with sales compensation, sales plans, sales data/analysis as needed, in partnership with the Sales Operations and People Operations team.
- Understand GitLab’s sales strategy in order to align people strategies to meet business goals.
- Drive equality, diversity, and inclusion throughout all of our programs and initiatives.
- Expert-level experience in a variety of HR competency areas such as organizational design and development, leadership development, change management, performance management, and employee relations.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work well with fluid information.
- Comfortable using technology, including Google Workspace and Gitlab.
- Effective and concise verbal and written communication skills; ability to collaborate cross-functionally.
- Obsessed with results that matter; able to create and deliver full-cycle projects (start to finish) and results in a timely manner.
- Team player who acts with a sense of urgency and adapts to a fast-paced and ever-changing environment.
- Ability to solve complex problems; resourceful and takes initiative to seek internal and external resources when problem-solving.
- Very strong EQ, with fine-tuned instincts and problem-solving skills. Demonstrates sound, consistent, trusted judgment.
- Experience working with Global Talent (Americas, EMEA, APAC); remote experience preferred.
- Comfortable with high volume and very fast-paced workload; not afraid to "roll up your sleeves" to complete more tactical work. Able to switch between strategic and tactical work daily.
- Bachelor's degree preferred; Master's degree and/or HR Certification strongly preferred.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.