This Technical Writer or Senior Technical Writer position is 100% remote.
It's an exciting time to join our team. We're the world's largest all-remote company, and we've been intentionally building our culture this way from the start. With more than 1,200 team members in 65+ countries, GitLab is a place where you can contribute from almost anywhere. We are an ambitious, productive team that embraces a set of shared values in everything we do.
As a Technical Writer in our Customer Programs team at GitLab, you will be a part of a team responsible for enabling new customers to gain more from our product through how-to-guides, blog posts, and email campaigns.
The culture here at GitLab is something we're incredibly proud of. Some of the benefits you'll be entitled to vary by the region or country you're in. However, all GitLab team members are fully remote and receive a "no ask, must tell" paid-time-off policy, where we don't count the number of days you take off annually. You can work incredibly flexible hours, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. You can also expect stock options and a competitive salary. Our compensation calculator will be shared with selected candidates before any interview.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging are fundamental to the success of GitLab. We want to infuse it in every way possible in all that we do. We strive to create a transparent environment where all team members worldwide feel that their voices are heard and welcomed. We also aim to be a place where people can show up as their whole selves each day and contribute their best. With more than 100,000 organizations using GitLab across the globe, our goal is to have a team that is representative of our users.
What you'll do in this role
- You'll author enablement content that aims to make the GitLab experience better for new users
- You'll partner with the Program Manager, Customer Programs to iterate on content based on open rates, click-through rates, survey results, and product analytics to continuously improve the efficacy of the program
- You'll collaborate with the Technical Account Management team to understand common customer challenges and then author content to address these challenges
- You'll continuously improve GitLab's documentation in collaboration with Product, Engineering, and Marketing teams.
- You'll author "how-to" content on using GitLab features like Continuous Integration.
- You'll identify and address content gaps and work cross-functionally to produce diagrams or videos.
- You'll contribute to the improvement of the GitLab documentation team's process and style
- You'll help developers and other members of the community who have documentation-related questions.
- You'll participate in reviews and revamps of section or page content and structure.
- You'll contribute to the improvement of team process and style, as well as cross-functional efforts.
You should apply if you have:
- Experience writing, editing, researching, and planning software documentation.
- Excellent skills in grammar, minimalist documentation design, and effective information architecture
- Great teaching skills that translate into excellent written work.
- Experience writing documentation for technical products
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly scaling start-up environment
- Highly organized; able to triage and prioritize numerous issues and projects
- Able to succeed in a remote, globally distributed work environment
- Experience with workflows and tooling used by engineering, operations, and/or product teams
- Our values of collaboration, results, efficiency, diversity, iteration, and transparency resonate with you.
- You'll thrive in an environment where self-learning and self-service is encouraged and instilled as a part of our culture.
- Ability to use GitLab and willing to work with Git and GitLab whenever possible
You'll stand out if you have experience with
- Using or documenting software development tools
- Using Linux command line, Git, and/or programming languages,
- Software development methodologies like agile and DevOps
Also, we know it's tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You don't have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.
Our hiring process for this Technical Writer position typically follows five stages. The details of this process can be found within our job family page.