At GitLab, we are fundamentally changing the way our customers get their software to market by putting the entire DevOps lifecycle into a single application. With over 100,000 organizations using the product GitLab is one of the fastest growing companies in technology. Our customer success teams are responsible for ensuring that our customers are wildly successful in achieving their business outcomes with the GitLab product as they move to truly modern DevOps. A complete long-term engagement of planning, strategy, coaching, services and relationship building ensures our customers exceed their goals and digitally transform. We know that our customers trust GitLab to take their ideas all the way from plan to shipped product in production and we don’t take that responsibility lightly. We have an incredible existing, and rapidly growing, customer base, with a passionate, supportive open-source community and incredibly talented teams located in 40 countries focused on supporting them.
We're looking for an experienced Sr. Director, Sales Strategy to play a key role in planning and executing strategic initiatives that drive the continued growth of Field Sales, including optimizing overall sales growth (e.g. increase iACV, decrease churn, driving upmarket and increasing ACV), recommend investments in new markets/verticals/channels, maximizing a multi-product strategy and enhancing the use of competitive intelligence. They will be instrumental in driving efficiencies throughout the global sales organization, as well as a member of the larger go-to-market strategy, as an influencer and trusted advisor across the business units and working closely with sales, marketing and finance partners. Strategic deliverables may include identifying opportunities to accelerate the business, driving productivity improvements, and growing the sales pipeline. Operational deliverables may include defining and tracking business performance metrics, scoping changes to existing systems and tools, and enablement of new processes to support strategic initiatives.
This role requires someone who is an analytically-minded person that can balance operations with strategy and planning and are not afraid to ask difficult questions and seek the answers for them. You are someone that knows how to apply the hypothesis-driven approach to solving problems and you are also able to analyze large quantities of data, derive insightful recommendations and confidently present to senior leadership team.
This is a great opportunity to create scalable processes to support a fast growing company where your responsibilities will increase exponentially with your ability. The role will support the vision of Gitlab’s sales leadership team and will report to our VP of Field Operations.
- Develop and execute a Global Sales Strategy by working with Sales Leadership and GTM teams including owning and driving key initiatives and projects
- Partner with Sales Leadership to formulate and develop regional/segment business plans and constantly evolving go-to-market strategy
- Drive WW Sales Compensation Program, manage team to adhere to requirements and optimize overall efficiency
- Identify opportunities to improve go-to-market efficiencies and lead efforts to scale, align and invest in the business
- Analyze and present recommendations to Sales Leadership for alignment and investment in the desired state and opportunities for sales productivity improvement
- Developing an understanding of and staying current with the competitive landscape
- Assess and drive innovative pricing strategies and options for Field Teams
- Authoring and delivering high-impact presentations and plans to support CRO and internal Sales events
- Assist with annual planning with Sales Leadership and key GTM Leaders
- Drive quarterly planning with Theater Sales Leaders and provide analytical support
- Develop and manage executive reporting on key metrics, formulate actionable insights and structure a concise, clear presentation of findings and prioritize issues as appropriate
- Ability to conduct sophisticated and creative analysis, yet translate those results to easily digestible messages, communications, and presentations
- Support strategy for Customer Success and Channel Teams
- Be a trusted advisor to Sales Leadership
- BA/BS degree
- 8-10 years+ of experience in an analytical role within a technology business. Preference for Sales Strategy, Business Intelligence/Analytics, Management Consulting, Venture Capital/Private Equity, and/or Investment Banking backgrounds
- Excellent quantitative analytical skills, creativity in problem solving, and a keen business sense
- Ability to think strategically, but also have exceptional attention to detail to drive program management and execution
- Extensive track record of building high-quality and complex spreadsheets, models and presentations
- Superb analytical skills and technical aptitude
- Experience with SQL, Tableau, and/or similar analytical packages a plus
- SaaS and B2B experience preferred
- Interest in GitLab, and open source software
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- Ability to thrive in a fully remote organization
To view the full job description and its compensation calculator, view our handbook. The compensation calculator can be found towards the bottom of the page.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.