This role is remote, based in the US.
The Instructional Designer position is a critical role within GitLab’s Sales and Customer Enablement team. The Sales & Customer Enablement Instructional Designer is responsible for designing and developing new, engaging, and effective learning solutions and instructional experiences for GitLab customers, partners, and sales & customer success professionals that help these audiences achieve desired learning outcomes. This role must be able to analyze, design, and develop blended, interactive, online and in-person learning solutions (with an emphasis on scalable online learning solutions) using sound instructional design principles. The primary audience for learning content will be external GitLab customers. Secondary audiences include GitLab partners as well as internal sales team members.
- Design and develop experiential learning solutions that support adult learning best practices, address needs identified in a job/task analysis, drive behavior change, and improve performance of GitLab customers, partners, and sales teams
- Follow GitLab branding guidelines and standards to ensure content is professional and consistent with corporate look and feel for external audiences
- Create and curate customer learning content using the latest technology and innovative techniques (especially via but not limited to scalable online delivery)
- Build and maintain valued relationships with key stakeholders and external vendors
- Design interactive courseware and video using adult learning theory that appeals to various learning styles and international audiences
- Utilize various modern authoring tools to rapidly build enjoyable, positive learning experiences that are interactive, effective and technically functional
- Develop instructionally sound knowledge, skill, and job performance-based assessments
- Evaluate the business impact of learning programs through the use of learning and performance metrics
- Gain a working knowledge of the various functional and technological product areas of GitLab
- Closely partner and collaborate with other members of the Sales and Customer Enablement team to continuously improve existing learning programs based on the latest research in adult education
- Meet all milestones and final deliverables by deadlines; when delays do occur, work with the team to estimate, monitor, adjust, and proactively communicate revised deadlines as needed
- Be a mentor to sales enablement program managers, trainers, and business partners on best practices in instructional design and enablement solutions
- Take on additional projects and responsibilities as needed
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s Degree in Instructional Development, Training Education/Communication is preferred
- 5+ years related work experience in B2B SaaS customer, partner, and/or sales training instructional design (or equivalent combination of transferable experience and education)
- Deep experience designing and developing learning programs across delivery mediums and content types (mobile learning, e-learning, video, gamification, virtual learning, live simulation, and live classroom)
- Proven experience designing and developing scalable, engaging, online customer training is a must
- Demonstrated experience working with multiple industry recognized instructional design models preferred
- Must have the ability to work in an ever-changing, project-driven environment with a strong design sensibility when creating all customer, partner, and sales training and enablement instructional materials
- Strong oral and written communication skills and diverse experience working with internal customers and stakeholders in both live and virtual environments
- Proven ability to clearly articulate complex concepts in simple terms is essential
- Excellent team player
- Must be detail oriented and have strong project management skills needing minimal supervision
- Experience with a wide range of modern elearning authoring tools (e.g. recent versions of Adobe Captivate, Articulate 360 Suite, Go Animate, Elucidat, etc.)
- Working knowledge and application experience using reveal.js, Adobe Creative Suite (Premiere, Captivate, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop), and other industry benchmark applications and online multimedia authoring tools
- HTML5, xAPI, mobile learning, and adaptive learning experience desired
- Experience working with a variety of Learning Management and Learning Experience Systems and various virtual meeting management tools such as Zoom is a plus
- Familiarity with statically generated websites are preferred, as we take a handbook-first approach to Sales and Customer Enablement
- Knowledge of the software development life cycle, DevOps, and/or open source software is preferred
To view the full job description and its compensation calculator, view our handbook. The compensation calculator can be found towards the bottom of the page.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.