This position is remote based.
We're looking for product managers that can help us work on the future of developer tools. Specifically, building out our lovable support for the complete DevOps lifecycle in our Release stage including continuous delivery, release governance and feature flags.
We believe developers deserve an intuitive, single application that covers the entire DevOps lifecycle. We believe running tests is just the beginning of automation. We believe complex, fault resistant deployment strategies should be automated and repeatable, and most of all, easy. We believe in pushing the boundaries of best-practices, and bringing these to every developer, so that doing the right thing is also the easy, default way of working.
We know there are a million things we can and want to improve about GitLab's support for continuous integration. It'll be your job to work out what we are going to do and how.
We work in quite a unique way at GitLab, where lots of flexibility and independence is mixed with a high paced, pragmatic way of working. And everything we do is in the open.
- Drive the product in the right direction
- Build an effective roadmap to prioritize important features properly
- Take high-level feature proposals and customer problems and break them into small iterations that engineering can work on
- Balance new features, improvements, and bugfixes to ensure a high velocity and a stable product
- Consider the business impact, ROI, and other implications when taking important decisions
- Take an active role in defining the future
- Contribute to the product vision, together with the Head of Product and VP of Product
- Create and maintain a vision for your product area
- Create and maintain the vision for each product category
- Innovate within your product area by proposing ambitious features
- Follow innovation in your product area
- Communicate and evangelize your product vision internally and among the wider community
- Manage the product lifecycle end-to-end
- Follow feature development end-to-end; provide guidance and feedback to engineers and designers; ensure everyone is aligned
- Be the voice of the customer and the subject-matter expert for your group
- Contribute to documentation, blog posts, demos, and marketing materials for product features
- Collaborate with other Product Managers, UX, and engineers in cross-area features to build a single application
- Manage the uncertainty in an efficient way, adjusting plans to new working conditions
- Engage with stakeholders in two-way communication
You are not (solely) responsible for:
- A team of engineers: you will take the lead in decisions about the product, but not manage the people implementing it
- Capacity planning: you will define priorities, but the Engineering Manager evaluates the amount of work possible
- Shipping in time: you will work in a group, but the group is responsible for shipping in time, not you
- Experience in product management
- Strong understanding of Git and Git workflows
- Knowledge of the operations tool space
- Strong technically: you understand how software is built, packaged, deployed and operated
- Passion for design and usability
- Highly independent and pragmatic
- Excellent proficiency in English
- You are living wherever you want
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- Strong understanding of DevOps and cloud-native application architectures, deployment and operations
- Understanding of deployment infrastructure, container technologies, and deployment strategies
- Bonus points: Significant experience building scalable operational tools
- Bonus points: Significant experience with deployment automation tools, and multi-cloud deployment strategies
- Bonus points: experience with GitLab
- Bonus points: experience in working with open source projects
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a screening call with our Global Recruiters
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule a Deep Dive interview with a Product Manager
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule an interview with an Engineering Manager
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule an interview with our Director of Product
- Candidates will be invited to schedule an interview with our Vice President of Product
The compensation calculator for this role can be found here.