Product marketing managers at GitLab have a unique opportunity to contribute to our mission:
To change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
When everyone can contribute consumers become contributors and we greatly increase the rate of human progress.
Product marketing managers at GitLab help tell the story about the value of how GitLab helps to unlock the potential of sharing and contribution. As a product marketing manager, you understand our customers, our community and the challenges they are facing. You are able to write about their story and help them understand how GitLab can help them become the heroes they really are.
We work in a very unique way at GitLab, where flexibility and independence meet a high paced, pragmatic way of working. And everything we do is in the open. We recommend looking at our about page and at the product marketing handbook to get started.
As a Product Marketing Manager, Regulated Industries, you will work bring your knowledge and experience of marketing to regulated industries such as the federal government to help shape our go to market strategy, messaging and execution. You will partner closely with our marketing, engineering, business development, sales team, and partners to help them address the unique requirements of this market.
Who, Where and Why
- Research and define our enterprise buyer and user personas, where they learn, their specific needs, challenges, and goals that we can help address.
- Research and document specific customer use cases.
- Identify and define the key value drivers which differentiate GitLab in the market.
- Partner with sales, product management, customer success and engineering teams to refine and evolve our product roadmap to address buyer needs and challenges.
- Develop product marketing collateral such as website pages, blogs, white papers, webinars, videos, customer and partner facing decks, and data sheets to communicate the value of GitLab.
- Participate and contribute to field and industry events as a Gitlab evangelist and thought leader.
- Develop and deliver product, market, and industry-specific enablement to the GitLab sales team and partners.
- Create campaign messaging and content as required to support ongoing marketing initiatives.
- Develop strong relationships with analysts and regularly brief them about GitLab’s unique value proposition.
- Document and demonstrate GitLab value in analyst market research reports.
- Support the development of customer case studies and webinars that help to demonstrate the value of GitLab for our customers.
- Participate and support win/loss analysis to understand why we win, where we win, who to target, and what to avoid.
- Support research into competitive threats and challenges to understand how to position GitLab in a rapidly changing market.
- Research and track overarching market trends and patterns that influence our ability to compete.
- 3-4 years of experience in product marketing with desired experience in the specialty.
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills with the ability to explain and translate complex technical concepts into simple and intuitive communications.
- Able to coordinate across many teams and perform in fast-moving startup environment.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Proven ability to be self-directed and work with minimal supervision.
- Use data to measure results and inform decision making and strategy development.
- Obsessive about iteration, quality, clarity, details, & execution.
- Market research and competitive intelligence experience.
- Experience with Software-as-a-Service offerings and open core software a plus.
- Experience designing sales collateral from scratch based on sales conversations, sales calls, product interviews, user interviews, market research, and your own experience.
- Technical background or good understanding of developer and IT operations products; familiarity with Git, Continuous Integration, Containers, and Kubernetes a plus.
- You share our values and work in accordance with those values.
Specialty Requirements for Regulated Industries Specialist (public sector & financial svcs)
- At least 5 years of product marketing experience marketing and selling public sector and or regulated industries such as financial services or health care.
- Deep understanding of Agile and DevOps methodologies across the entire Software Development Lifecycle, especially the processes and controls typically found in large regulated industries such as public sector and financial services.
- Experience marketing and selling to the US Federal Govt, DOD and civilian agencies.
- Experience around GSA, Federal procurement and the various buying vehicles to enable growth in software sales via our distribution partners.
- A security clearance is a plus.
Senior Product Marketing Manager
Senior product marketing managers are leaders and bring deep expertise in a specific domain. Through your leadership, experience, and insight, you will position GitLab to address business challenges, contribute to the product strategy, and provide thought leadership. You will be expected to prioritize and manage your work with minimal guidance from leadership or other product team members.
Additional Sr. PMM Responsibilities
- Develop and implement GTM strategies and campaigns in partnership with sales, growth, digital and content marketing.
- Research and support pricing and packaging decisions in order to meet market demands and needs.
- Define and lead market research projects into specific market segments.
Additional Sr. PMM Requirements
- At least 6 years enterprise software marketing experience, including 4 directly in product marketing.
- Deep understanding of Agile and DevOps methodologies across the entire Software Development Lifecycle, especially in large enterprise environments.
- Extensive experience in at least one of the following domains/areas (portfolio management, requirements management, agile project management, source code management, continuous integration, quality management, application security, continuous delivery, containers, kubernetes, or application performance monitoring).
- Qualified applicants will be invited to schedule a screening call with one of our Global Recruiters.
- Candidates then will be invited to schedule a 45 minute interview with a Product Marketing Manager.
- Candidates then will be invited to schedule a 45 minute interview with a Federal Strategic Account Leader.
- Candidates then will be invited to schedule a 45 minute interview with a Federal Solutions Architect.
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule a 45 minute interview with our Director of Product Marketing.
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule a 45 minute interview with our Chief Marketing Officer.
- Finally, our CEO may choose to conduct a final interview.
- Successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer via email.
To view the full job description and its compensation calculator, view our handbook. The compensation calculator can be found towards the bottom of the page.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.