This position is remote based.
We're looking for product managers that can help us work on the future of developer tools. Specifically, building out our lovable support for GitLab by driving strategy around enterprise workflows, agile project management, and collaboration.
The product vision of Plan is to enable all people in any size organization to:
- Innovate ideas.
- Organize those ideas into transparent, multi-level work breakdown plans that cut across departments.
- Track the execution of these plans, adjusting them along the way as needed.
- Collaborate with team members, internal and external stakeholders, and executive sponsors, using the same set of single-source-of-truth artifacts in a single application.
- Measure the efficacy of the entire process, characterizing the flows with value streams, thus providing actionable insight for continuous improvement.
We believe developers deserve an intuitive, single application that covers the entire DevOps lifecycle. We believe running tests is just the beginning of automation. We believe deploying your code should be automated and repeatable, and most of all, easy. We believe in pushing the boundaries of best-practices, and bringing these to every developer, so that doing the right thing is also the easy, default way of working.
We know there are a million things we can and want to improve about GitLab's support for project management and workflows. It'll be your job to work out what we are going to do and how.
We work in quite a unique way at GitLab, where lots of flexibility and independence is mixed with a high paced, pragmatic way of working. And everything we do is in the open.
- Drive the product in the right direction
- Build an effective roadmap to prioritize important features properly
- Take high-level feature proposals and customer problems and break them into small iterations that engineering can work on
- Balance new features, improvements, and bugfixes to ensure a high velocity and a stable product
- Consider the business impact, ROI, and other implications when taking important decisions
- Make sound decisions for your product/stage, building trust, and driving clarity across all teams at GitLab and the community
- Mastery of the competitive and market landscape of their product domain and understanding how this landscape impacts their own product roadmap
- Ability to clearly document ROI or impact for a given action, feature, or prioritization action
- Conduct advanced ROI analysis on investment cases to determine if GitLab should pursue them
- Take an active role in defining the future
- Contribute to the product vision, together with the Head of Product and VP of Product
- Create and maintain a vision for your product area
- Create and maintain the vision for each product category
- Innovate within your product area by proposing ambitious features
- Follow innovation in your product area
- Communicate and evangelize your product vision internally and among the wider community
- Mentors junior or less experienced Product Managers to quickly bring them up to speed and add value
- Represents GitLab as a product and domain expert in front of Industry Analysts, customer visits, industry events/conferences, and other events.
- Manage the product lifecycle end-to-end
- Follow feature development end-to-end; provide guidance and feedback to engineers and designers; ensure everyone is aligned
- Be the voice of the customer and the subject-matter expert for your group
- Contribute to documentation, blog posts, demos, and marketing materials for product features
- Collaborate with other Product Managers, UX, and engineers in cross-area features to build a single application
- Manage the uncertainty in an efficient way, adjusting plans to new working conditions
- Manage features and solutions that span multiple stages, and/or benefit other stages
- Engage with stakeholders in two-way communication
- Assist Sales, Support, Customer Success, and Marketing as the subject-matter expert for your area
- Talk to customers and engage with the community regularly
- Engage with analysts on briefings and product evaluations
- Work with the entire Product team to share improvements and best practices
- Have a strong presence in customer advisory boards and other customer feedback forums to fully understand customer pain points and how these can be solved in the future
- Ability to present to C-level executives both internally at GitLab and externally to customers and prospects
You are not (solely) responsible for:
- A team of engineers: you will take the lead in decisions about the product, but not manage the people implementing it
- Capacity planning: you will define priorities, but the Engineering Manager evaluates the amount of work possible
- Shipping in time: you will work in a group, but the group is responsible for shipping in time, not you
- 5+ years product management experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to think like a CEO to drive success of your product area
- Fantastic problem solving skills and attention to detail
- Strong understanding of Git and Git workflows
- Knowledge of the developer tool space
- Strong technically: you understand how software is built, packaged, and deployed
- Passion for design and usability
- Highly independent and pragmatic
- Excellent proficiency in English
- You are living wherever you want
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values
- Strong understanding of DevOps and cloud-native application development
- Strong understanding of project management and enterprise workflow use cases
- Bonus points: Significant experience with Kubernetes and Docker
- Bonus points: experience with GitLab
- Bonus points: experience in working with open source projects
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a screening call with our Global Recruiters
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a first interview with a Product Manager
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule an interview with our Director of Product
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule an interview with the an Engineering Manager
- Candidates will be invited to schedule an interview with our Head of Product
- Candidates may be asked to schedule a deep dive interview
- Candidates may be asked to meet with additional team members at the manager's discretion
- Finally, candidates may interview with our CEO
The compensation calculator for this role here.