Our mission, as GitHub's Business Development team, is to grow and strengthen the ecosystem of developers building applications using the GitHub API. Millions of developers rely on GitHub and its partners to build and ship software every day. Did you know more transactions happen programmatically via the GitHub API than through the web interface? As an intern on the Business Development (BD) team, you will work on a technical, highly collaborative and technical team on a constant mission to enrich, empower, and advance the GitHub ecosystem.
The Business Development team sits at the intersection of our ecosystem, working closely with the Platform team as well as the Product, Marketing, Engineering and Sales teams. During your internship, you will work cross functionally and be exposed to all angles of our platform. Plus you'll meet the awesome partners we work with in the developer tools space!
Here's a sample of activities you'd be undertaking during your summer with us:
- Gather feedback from external partners about technical and non-technical integration pain points and brainstorm potential solutions.
- Boost adoption of new API features
- Coordinate launch partners for releases of new API features
- Build and improve client libraries for the GitHub API
- Improve the integrator experience by developing documentation, tutorials, and tools
- Review data about ecosystem usage and uncover insights and trends
- Work with our Marketplace Product and Engineering teams to analyze opportunities.
- Lead co-marketing efforts with ecosystem partners
What you (the intern) will learn:
- In-depth understanding of GitHub's API
- How to collaborate with partners to discover, address, and improve adjacent products.
- Understanding of the key components necessary to build a successful platform
- The state of the developer tools ecosystem and the role GitHub holds as part of it
- How to launch features and products (at GitHub we 🚢 a lot)
- The importance of change management both technically and interpersonally
- How to collaborate with people and entire teams across GitHub to execute a vision
- The diverse roles and people behind delivering a major platform.
- A passion for learning quickly and asking lots of questions.
- Very strong communication skills.
- Interest in developer tools, APIs or code collaboration.
- Hyper collaborative, and comfortable with iterative development.
- Experience using REST or GraphQL APIs.
- Preferred: Experience building on top of the GitHub API (or equivalent)
Who We Are:
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over fifteen million people use GitHub to build amazing things together. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com and GitHub Business, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe.
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
*Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Recruiter!