GitHub is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to lead a team of Site Reliability Engineers. You will foster an environment of engineering excellence and mentorship. The team you coach will focus on the systems, processes, and tools that enable our engineers to operate and scale the world's largest code hosting platform. Some of the services your team will help maintain include load balancing GitHub Load Balancer architecture based on a large deployment of haproxy, DNS (internal and external DNS infrastructure) managed with OctoDNS, DDoS mitigation (including synsanity), and caching (Varnish, CDN management).
The SRE team is highly distributed and you will thrive in an environment of remote work and asynchronous communication. You're expected to have strong written communication skills and be able to develop working relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe.
As an SRE at GitHub you'll always be challenged to solve interesting and novel problems that have real impact on how the world builds software.
- Act as a technical leader, guiding SRE’s vision, best practices and priorities.
- Meeting 1-1 with team members on a regular basis
- Giving frequent, actionable feedback to support your team’s career development.
- Actively develop and maintain infrastructure through reusable code and tooling.
- Use metrics and monitoring systems to ensure performance, scalability and stability.
- Cultivate the open source projects developed by GitHub and build things you are proud to share.
- Manage complex projects spanning teams outside of the SRE organization to ensure the uptime and reliability of our infrastructure.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience managing engineering teams.
- Proficiency in high-level languages such as Ruby, Python and Bash.
- Experience guiding technical decision making.
- The ability to apply systems design principles to practical applications.
- You take a pragmatic approach to decision making and design choices.
- Familiarity with configuration management software such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, or Salt.
- Experience diagnosing and resolving performance problems in complex software systems.
- Experience managing/working with distributed teams.
- Experience building highly available systems at scale.
- Experience building infrastructure automation.
- Experience with Kubernetes and Docker.
- Experience being an open-source contributor.
- Experience with systems languages (C/C++, Go, Rust).
- Experience with Linux kernel internals (TCP/IP stack, developing modules).
Who We Are:
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over fifteen million people use GitHub to build amazing things together. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com and GitHub Business, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe.
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
*Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Recr