At GitHub, we want to help everyone build better software, which is why we’re creating a company where anyone, regardless of what they look like or where they come from, can grow and succeed. We believe that when people with different perspectives, life experiences, and identities join us and thrive, we can build better products for developers all around the world.
We’re looking for a Director of Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging to help us expand our work in building an inclusive culture where all Hubbers can bring their authentic selves to work, feel like they belong and are valued, and work in an environment that celebrates diverse perspectives and experiences.
Who you are:
You’ve been in the business of building diverse, inclusive, and innovative teams for years, and you love both the scrappy and the strategic elements of your work. You’ve diplomatically dismantled broken systems and cultural roadblocks to leave a lasting, positive impact on an organization. You’re a bit of a data and communications geek with a penchant for using all available channels to make even the most complex of concepts easier to understand. You have a growth mindset -- you’re excited to create something new and you’re great at bringing others along with you on this journey.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Lead the development and implementation of a comprehensive diversity, inclusion and belonging strategy and framework by assessing needs, building and facilitating learning solutions and support resources, and partnering with internal Hubbers.
- Be a strong voice for inclusion and diversity at GitHub, communicating effectively and regularly with internal and external audiences, and representing GitHub’s commitment to this work in the world.
- Effectively drive participation and engagement in inclusion and diversity programs and practices at every level. Plan, execute and deliver work product in multiple formats including frameworks, self-service tools, in-person development activities, and specific consultation with leaders and organizations. Just as importantly, you will track and communicate results at the senior leadership level.
- Integrate key concepts of belonging, inclusion, and diversity into existing programs, policies and practices (I.e., sourcing and recruiting, onboarding, professional and leadership development, Hubber Handbook, engagement survey action plans).
- Use data collected across the Hubber lifecycle, external benchmark data, and best practices in the industry to design new programs, practices, and policies.
- Establish a framework for measuring the impact and effectiveness of belonging, inclusion, and diversity initiatives, and their overall impact on culture and the Hubber experience.
- Provide external thought leadership by representing GitHub at conferences and client meetings, and educating the marketplace on effective strategies that drive diversity and inclusion. Implement and scale initiatives globally across a large, diverse, and multifunctional organization. Inspire and connect people to drive effective teamwork, communication, collaboration and commitment across multiple teams and organizations with competing priorities and initiatives.
- Demonstrated understanding and application of the concepts related to diversity, belonging, inclusion, as well as the contexts and cultures within organizations that impact the implementation and management of effective change efforts.
- Have experience in which the following skills were demonstrated at a highly proficient level: data analysis, project management, interpersonal communication, consulting, influencing and people leadership.
- Acute business sense with the ability to tie diversity, inclusion, and belonging work back to company objectives, including making a business case for incremental investments.
- Effective leader with a proven track record of demonstrated good judgment, innovative thought leadership, and creativity. Excellent writing, project lead, and presentation skills are required.
- A genuine belief in people and natural mentoring abilities with diverse individuals, ideas, and teams.
- A history of taking calculated risks, pushing your learning edge, showing up as a leader (even when doing so is hard), and motivating others to do the same.
- An ability to model vulnerability, own up to your limitations and mistakes and view feedback as a critical tool for learning and growth.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over fifteen million people use GitHub to build amazing things together. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com and GitHub Business, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
What We Value:
- Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
- Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
- Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
- Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
- Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe.
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch bene fits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too. GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
*Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Recruiter!