GitHub is changing the way the world builds software and we want you to help change the way we build GitHub. We're looking for an experienced engineer to work with a dynamic and distributed group of engineers crafting and scaling our platform.
The engineers on GitHub's Platform Data team are responsible for the scalability, maintainability, performance and abstracting the complexity of our platform's data stores, primarily MySQL and Elasticsearch.
The Platform team is highly distributed and the right candidate can thrive in an environment of asynchronous communication. We expect you to have strong written and verbal communication skills and be able to create working relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe.
As a Platform Search Engineer, you'll always be challenged to solve unique and interesting problems that have a real impact on how the world builds software.
- Writing robust, maintainable backend code and develop APIs to offer high performance access to our search engines.
- Exploring the technical tradeoffs of every decision.
- Working with monitoring and automation tools.
- Improving the scalability and performance of our search platform.
- Improving search quality metrics.
- Experience with distributed search infrastructure (especially Elasticsearch).
- Experience building large scale search systems.
- Strong written communication.
- Ability to empathize with a diverse range of engineers.
- You are known for being a great communicator.
- You can evaluate the trade-offs for building highly available distributed systems.
- Have experience working with Ruby on Rails.
- Have experience with MySQL.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over fifteen million people use GitHub to build amazing things together. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com and GitHub Business, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe.
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
*Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Recruiter!