GitHub is looking to hire you, a Systems Engineer who wants to help craft our on-premises version of the world’s leading code collaboration service. With GitHub Enterprise we help our customers take advantage of some of the best qualities of open source. Imagine openness, collaboration, good coding practices and workflow automation all made possible thanks to your contributions. In this team, you will play a crucial role in our company’s success. Your contributions to our state-of-the-art projects will make or break our goal to improve the lives of developers in companies whose engineering department populations rival some mid-sized metro areas. As if that weren't enough, you can do all of this from the comfort of your own home. Intrigued?
Who we are
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over ten million people use GitHub to build amazing things together. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com, our desktop and mobile apps, and GitHub Enterprise, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write better code, faster, together.
GitHub is an equal opportunity employer that actively values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
About GitHub Enterprise
GitHub Enterprise brings GitHub to those who need to host GitHub themselves. We are a distributed team working in different parts of the world on the product. We make sure all the GitHub features also work well for an Enterprise environment and develop Enterprise specific solutions where necessary. You will have the opportunity to work on various projects built in different languages. You will share the team responsibility for integrating all the different components that make up GitHub and ship them to our customers.
- You will help build the systems and architecture that power our on-premises solution.
- You will influence and inform the growth of the team in the future.
- You will document the systems you build.
- You will encourage and assist the technical growth of your peers.
- You will work with the Product and other engineering teams to define and prioritize projects
- You have at least 3 years of systems development or operational experience
- You are a proficient Unix developer
- You are an OS architecture enthusiast
- You have knowledge of a few dynamic and scripting programming languages (knowledge of bash is preferred because we use it, but not required)
- You are comfortable diving into a variety of different services and systems to find out problems and build solutions.
- You debug low-level system operations in your sleep
- You encourage and practice collaboration
- You have excellent communication skills, especially when working with a distributed team
- You have experience crafting high-scalable system
- Ruby on Rails
- Troubleshooting in customer-facing environments
- Experience troubleshooting in customer-facing environments
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe.
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
*Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Recruiter!