GitHub is changing the way the world builds software and we want you to help change the way we build GitHub. We're looking for an experienced engineer to work with a vibrant and distributed group of engineers architecting and scaling our platform.
The engineers on GitHub's Platform Data team are responsible for the scalability, maintainability and performance of our platform's data stores, primarily MySQL and Elasticsearch. We expect you to be able to write code to abstract the complexity of our backend and build services on top of it.
The Platform team is highly distributed and the right candidate can thrive in an environment of asynchronous communication. We expect you to have strong written and verbal communication skills and be able to create working relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe. As a Platform Engineer, you'll always be challenged to solve unique and interesting problems that have a real impact on how the world builds software.
- Writing robust, maintainable backend code
- Exploring the technical tradeoffs of every decision
- Reviewing code and leading group discussions about the projects we're working on
- Improving the scalability and performance for our platform
- 5+ years building web applications
- Experience with Git and GitHub
- Experience with relational databases
- Ability to empathize with a diverse range of engineers
- You are known for being a great communicator
- You can evaluate the trade-offs for building highly available distributed systems
- Have experience working with Ruby on Rails
- Have experience with MySQL and Elasticsearch
- This position could be based in one of the following countries: Austria, Canada, Croatia, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales), and the United States.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over fifteen million people use GitHub to build amazing things together. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com and GitHub Business, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we're committed to quality, collaboration, experimentation...and shipping!
We constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Additionally, we enable Hubbers who are not based in HQ, to have the flexibility to work in ways that are most effective for them (at home, in a workspace, etc).
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
*Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Recruiter!