GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help change the way we secure GitHub. We are looking for an experienced Security Engineer to evolve and advance the cloud security posture of GitHub and its ecosystem.
As a Senior Security Engineer, you will work alongside other members of the GitHub Security, IT, and Engineering organizations to help drive technical direction for all things cloud security. Cloud Security Engineers at GitHub are self-starters, able to work autonomously in ambiguous environments, and collaborative natural problem solvers with experience automating and integrating disparate technologies. You should have strong problem-solving skills, excellent communication skills, a deep technical understanding of modern cloud and containerized security threats, the ability to influence people from customers to managers through technical solutions, and the desire to be an integral contributor to securing GitHub systems.
Security Operations Responsibilities
- Collaborate with Engineering teams across GitHub to design, build, and validate secure and scalable architectures in the cloud.
- Provide threat modeling and risk assessment services to characterize the risk and severity posture of various systems and components in the Cloud environment.
- Develop and Deploy security guardrails through reusable patterns using standardized frameworks.
- Implement information security controls and patterns that support risk assessments and the development of secure architectures.
- Collect security-related operational metrics through automation and increase security visibility across the organization; measure the coverage and effectiveness of security tools; transparency over the security state of the Cloud).
- Identify opportunities for process improvement, including developing and implementing internal security tools, tactics, and procedures.
- Provide security-related guidance and documentation.
- 5+ years of working with cloud infrastructure
- 3+ years experience building or managing Cloud Platforms, Products, or Services (specifically Microsoft Azure)
- 3+ years experience with Python
- Extensive experience building security solutions, ideally for cloud services
- Experience with Azure Resources deployment and Azure Policy
- Excellent presentation skills and experience presenting to management
- Experience performing threat modeling and design reviews to assess security implications and requirements for introducing new technologies
- Ability to produce concise and quality technical documentation
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Minimum salary of $104,400 to maximum $276,900.
In addition, certain roles also have the opportunity to earn sales incentives based on revenue or utilization, depending on the terms of the plan and the employee's role.
These pay ranges are intended to cover roles based across the United States. An individual's base pay depends on various factors including geographical location and review of experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant. At GitHub certain roles are eligible for benefits and additional rewards, including annual bonus and stock. These rewards are allocated based on individual impact in role. In addition, certain roles also have the opportunity to earn sales incentives based on revenue or utilization, depending on the terms of the plan and the employee's role.
Location: In this role, you can work remotely from anywhere in the United States.
GitHub is the world’s leading AI-powered developer platform with 100 million developers and counting. We’re also home to the biggest open source community on earth (and 99% of the world’s software has open source code in its DNA). Many of the apps and programs you use every day are built on GitHub.
Our teams are dreamers, doers, and pioneers, leading the way in AI, driving humanitarian efforts around the globe, and even sending open source to Mars (and beyond!).
At GitHub, our goal is to create the space you need to do your best work. We’re remote-first and offer competitive pay, generous learning and growth opportunities, and excellent benefits to support you, wherever you are—because we know that people flourish when they can work on their own terms.
Join us, and let’s change the world, together.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.