GitHub is looking for a Staff Researcher to join GitHub Next.
GitHub Next is Github’s advanced R&D team, tasked with building the future of software development. We created GitHub Copilot, the first large-scale application of LLMs, and we want to continue leveraging the power of machine learning to revolutionize GitHub and hence the world-wide community of developers and creators who rely on it for their daily work.
You will be working with other members of Next as well as colleagues from elsewhere in GitHub and Microsoft on providing machine learning solutions to these challenges. Our projects range from creating entirely new products like GitHub Copilot to integrating new ML-powered capabilities into existing GitHub surfaces, such as Copilot for Pull Requests. The common thread is that our projects exist at the intersection of research and practice.
- Participate in projects to integrate machine learning into developer tools.
- Apply pretrained models to solve problems for software developers.
- Conceive, design, train and deploy machine learning models.
- Contribute to the day-to-day running of Next: participate in our reading group, interviewing new candidates, and disseminating research results.
- Strong coding skills and coding experience
- 3+ years of practical experience in machine learning development, deployment, and optimization with evidence of successful project completion in industry or academia
- Experience and a demonstrated interest in developing and improving developer tooling, such as libraries, frameworks, and IDEs
- Experience in training and deploying large language models (LLMs) with advanced techniques such as transfer learning, attention mechanisms, and regularization
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Computer Science or a related field with relevant coursework and research experience in machine learning
- One or more publications in top machine learning and/or natural language processing conferences, such as ICML, NeurIPS, ACL, etc.
- Demonstrated interest and experience in developing and improving developer tooling, such as libraries, frameworks, and IDEs.
Minimum salary of $118,100 to maximum $313,300.
In addition, certain roles also have the opportunity to earn sales incentives based on revenue or utilization, depending on the terms of the plan and the employee's role.
These pay ranges are intended to cover roles based across the United States. An individual's base pay depends on various factors including geographical location and review of experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant. At GitHub certain roles are eligible for benefits and additional rewards, including annual bonus and stock. These rewards are allocated based on individual impact in role. In addition, certain roles also have the opportunity to earn sales incentives based on revenue or utilization, depending on the terms of the plan and the employee's role.
Location: In this role, you can work remotely from anywhere in the United States.
Who We Are:
As the global home for all developers, GitHub is the complete AI-powered developer platform to build, scale, and deliver secure software. Over 100 million people, including developers from 90 of the Fortune 100 companies, use GitHub to build amazing things together across 330+ million repositories. With all the collaborative features of GitHub, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.