GitHub is the largest developer platform in the world, with over 83 million developers from across the planet coming together to meet, learn, discover, collaborate, and create human progress through software. This open source software forms 80% of all new enterprise software products. We want to make sure this open source, collaborative software development is sustainable. We are working on programs and products to enable the economic value of open source software to flow back to the creators so that they can build careers and so that the software that we all depend on can receive the resources it needs to be robust. The Open Source Funding team at GitHub is focused on making open source software work financially sustainable.
Are you interested in working with open source developers and enterprises worldwide to help create a financially stable open source development ecosystem? We are looking for an experienced leader to lead our GitHub Fund team, as the Senior Director for Open Source Funding. GitHub Fund provides research and programs that benefit open source software developers, helping them fund their work in a sustainable, global environment. Through GitHub Sponsors, companies provide millions of dollars of funding to open source developers working on projects they would like to support. Programs like GitHub Fund and Accelerator help open source software developers take their project to the next level of funding whether it’s a business plan or a venture capital investment. Working with open source software developers, we create programs for developers to gain financial support for doing their best work in open source.
As Senior Director of Funding at GitHub, you will be responsible for the overall success of our open source funding products and programs. In your role, you will:
- Drive our Open Source Funding strategy and roadmap
- Lead a team to build and deliver great product experiences for both open source maintainers and those that depend on their work
- Work with our marketing and developer relations teams to drive adoption
You will bring to the team a proven track record of building great experiences and products through building strong relationships with open source maintainers and enterprises, working across teams within the organization, leading teams in a way that enables them to follow their passion for improving and expanding open source; a global, inclusive viewpoint; strong empathy for the human and social aspect of software development; a strong understanding of financial mechanisms and markets and the ability to grow programs at planet scale.
- Own the strategy for GitHub Funding. Define the key problems to be solved for making open source software development financially sustainable for maintainers as well identifying what enterprises need out of open source software and how they are willing to fund that work. Work together with stakeholders to ensure that your vision aligns with the vision of other related areas.
- Identify and represent the customers. Be the champion and voice of users in every conversation. Build direct relationships with open source maintainers and enterprises engaging with open source software.
- Build a strong team. The GitHub Funding team is a new team that shares GitHub’s strong shared sense of passion around open source. Continue to empower and grow the team across product, programs, and engineering.
- Be the voice of GitHub Funding. Represent GitHub Funding to the world, its customers and partners. Enable your extended team and the GitHub leadership team to also be that voice.
- Manage the roadmap. Prioritize for the short-term while helping the company think long-term. Ship and iterate often. Build trust with stakeholders by maintaining an understandable, accurate roadmap.
- Build and manage the budget for a cross-functional team.
- Collaborate and build trust across teams. Your success will require coordination across multiple teams and domains at GitHub, across Product, Design, Engineering, Finance, Marketing, PR, Legal and Support.
- Use data to inform decision making. Analyze data for trends and potential user pain points, and use this to prioritize and inform how to improve the product.
- Measure success. Own the measures used to define success for your product and align them to department and business objectives. The success measures should be visible to all stakeholders and you will be interpreting them into actionable conclusions and new hypotheses to drive future work.
- 10+ years experience in software development, engineering, product management or program management, or equivalent experience with a proven ability to identify opportunities and deliver products
- 5+ years experience leading and developing teams
- Experience in developing solutions to problems experienced in finance and/or open source
- Proficient knowledge and experience delivering presentations to a large number of stakeholders and executives
- Experience working asynchronously on a remote, distributed team
- Strong communication skills, with clear verbal communication as well as explicit and mindful written communication skills
- Strong technical abilities including experience with developer and/or community tools
- Deep understanding of funding and finances
- Experience developing a strategy and roadmap for your teams
- Experience executing initiatives in an iterative fashion
- Attention to detail, planning, and organization, both at an individual and at team level
- Strong user and stakeholder empathy and understanding
- Experience working across organizations with Engineering, Design, Marketing, Support, Legal, Finance
- Previous experience with open source project development, use, and consumption
- Previous experience with tools which support building, growing and maintaining communities who thrive
- Intrinsic desire and motivation to have user impact
- Experience leading global teams for international users
Minimum salary of $134,800 to maximum $357,500.
These pay ranges are intended to cover roles based across the United States. An individual's base pay depends on various factors including geographical location and review of experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant. At GitHub certain roles are eligible for benefits and additional rewards, including annual bonus and stock. These rewards are allocated based on individual impact in role. In addition, certain roles also have the opportunity to earn sales incentives based on revenue or utilization, depending on the terms of the plan and the employee's role.
Location: In this role, you can work remotely from anywhere in the United States or onsite in one of GitHub’s U.S. offices (San Francisco, Bellevue, Raleigh).
Who We Are:
As the global home for all developers, GitHub is the complete AI-powered developer platform to build, scale, and deliver secure software. Over 100 million people, including developers from 90 of the Fortune 100 companies, use GitHub to build amazing things together across 330+ million repositories. With all the collaborative features of GitHub, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.