We're looking for a Senior Documentation Manager to help build and support a team of GitHub's technical writers working on GitHub Docs.
The Senior Documentation Manager will support technical writers as they create helpful and highly technical product documentation. They will mentor, coach, and sponsor technical writers on the Docs Content team, prioritize work across the team, and communicate with teams across the company about the future of GitHub’s products. They will also be well-versed in GitHub's products and processes and will lead and contribute to process and content improvements for the Docs Content team.
The Senior Documentation Manager should be an adept writer, able to provide reviews on the content design plans and technical documentation writers create. They must be empathetic as a writer, able to put themselves in the user's position and help anticipate their problems.
The Docs Content team is highly distributed and we embrace an environment of asynchronous communication. You'll need strong communication skills and the ability to build working relationships with people in locations around the globe without relying on synchronous or in-person meetings.
If you're a leader with a desire to empower writers of all skill levels to do the best work of their careers, we'd like to hear from you!
- Prioritize and plan the Docs Content team's work in collaboration with technical writers and other Docs Content managers in North America and EMEA locations.
- Support asynchronous-first collaboration by optimizing for GitHub's capabilities
- Promote an impact-focused approach by helping your team prioritize their work in the context of GitHub, the Docs team, and the Docs Content team's short- and long-term goals
- Identify and implement iterative process improvements with an understanding of the ecosystem of other processes on the Docs team
- Serve as a coach and mentor to technical writers at varying levels of experience, particularly in planning and creating user-focused content, working cross-functionally and across the organization, and sharing about the work the Docs team does
- Plan and support career development for your direct reports, including providing regular guided performance feedback
- Embody and model GitHub's Leadership Principles and Manager Fundamentals
- Establish and maintain strong relationships across the full Docs team and the GitHub organization
- Plan and implement long-term strategies that benefit the Docs team, our users, and our stakeholders
- Recruit, develop, and retain great technical writers
- Regularly aggregate feedback from your team to influence the work and focus of the Docs Content managers
- Collaborate with other Docs team leaders to define, document, and communicate level-specific expectations, implementing those expectations within the role-specific career levels
- Foster a culture of consistent and kind feedback on the team and at GitHub
- Prioritize psychological safety within your direct team and the wider Docs Content and Docs teams
- Familiarity with Git and GitHub
- 3+ years writing experience in technical documentation, maintaining complex content for multiple software products
- 3+ years proven work experience building and leading a team of technical writers as a manager or technical lead
- 2+ years effectively executing complex and cross-functional initiatives
- Proven project management and/or team operations experience
- Strong user advocacy
- Impeccable written and verbal communication skills, especially when working with a distributed team
- The ability to clearly explain complex concepts to an audience of varying levels of experience and knowledge
- A strong understanding of content design and information architecture
- Empathetic leader with a growth mindset, for themselves and others
- Ability to compassionately give and receive editorial, technical, and performance feedback
- Strong ability to plan and prioritize complex projects across a team with high attention to detail along the way
- Experience in successfully driving and implementing strategic initiatives
It would be helpful to have
- Experience working across cross-functional teams with competing priorities
- Experience contributing to and supporting a hiring strategy
- Experience creating automated documentation tools
- Experience maintaining or contributing to an open source project
- A preference for collaborative work with the ability to work independently in a remote setting
- Attention to detail and strong intellectual curiosity
- Experience or interest in championing content strategy and content design on a technical documentation team
Here is an example of what we would expect:
- Month 1, you become well-versed in the collaboration and communication styles of GitHub. You make progress on our onboarding program, including onboarding as a writer to better understand the daily responsibilities of your team.
- Month 2, you begin having regular 1:1s with writers on your team and leading regular syncs with your team.
- Month 3, you are working on your first Docs Content manager initiative with support from your fellow managers, and are comfortable facilitating discussions between the Docs Content team and Engineering/Product/Design (EPD) squads around documentation approach for new features as needed.
- Month 4, you are regularly contributing to prioritization and process improvements on the Docs Content team, and you are giving regular feedback to your direct reports on their work and performance.
- Months 5–6, you are fully integrated into your new role, consistently coaching and sponsoring the writers on the Docs Content team, leading team initiatives, and contributing to Docs team discussions on process and priority.
These are just examples of the milestones you can expect to hit in your first six months at GitHub. You will work closely with the Director of Docs Content to define and adjust goals as you onboard to the team.
Minimum salary of $89,200 to maximum $184,000.
At GitHub certain roles are eligible for additional rewards, including annual bonus and stock. These rewards are allocated based on individual impact in role. In addition, certain roles also have the opportunity to earn sales incentives based on revenue or utilization, depending on the terms of the plan and the employee's role.
Location: In this role, you can work remotely from anywhere in the United States or onsite in one of GitHub’s U.S. offices (San Francisco, Bellevue, Raleigh).
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.