GitHub is looking for engineers to join the Traffic Engineering team within our larger Infrastructure Engineering organization. You will focus on the foundational systems and tools that enable our engineers to operate and scale the world's largest code hosting platform. You will help develop and maintain our edge and internal load balancers, internal routing layer, and caching infrastructure. You will also help improve end user performance through the expansion our global network. Nearly every byte in and out of GitHub’s network will traverse systems you own and support in partnership with stakeholders and other team members.
The Infrastructure Engineering team is highly distributed and you will thrive in an environment of remote work and asynchronous communication. You're expected to have strong written communication skills and be able to develop collaborative relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe.
As an engineer at GitHub you'll always be challenged to solve interesting and novel problems that have real impact on how the world builds software. This role is hiring for a Network Engineer who has interest in working on projects across our Edge and/or Network Deployment teams.
Network Focused Responsibilities:
- Design and deploy a global, multi-protocol, multi-vendor network.
- Develop tools for deployment and configuration management of devices.
- Work with device manufacturers, service providers, and other vendors to integrate and expand the network.
- Cultivate open source projects developed by GitHub and build things you are proud to share.
- Collaborate closely with traffic systems and facilities teams to design and support our global data center presence.
- Deep protocol analysis and trouble-shooting skills
- Expert-level exposure to IP routing (particularly with BGP, MPLS, Segment Routing, and/or IS-IS) and/or standard web protocols and systems (such as TCP, HTTP, TLS, DNS, CDNs, and/or global traffic load balancing).
- Proficiency in high-level languages such as Python, Ruby, Bash, or Go.
- Familiarity with configuration management tools like Ansible, Napalm, Salt, Terraform, and/or Chef
- Experience diagnosing and resolving performance problems at the intersection of software and hardware.
Bonus Qualifications for Network Focused:
- You've deployed large scale distributed systems on top of Linux
- Knowledge of MPLS, DWDM, and other backbone-related technologies
- Experience in network segmentation strategies, BGP VPNs, VXLAN, ISIS-SR, Traffic Engineering, and/or segment routing.
- Comfortable working with network OS'es like Arista EOS, Cisco IOS, and/or Juniper JunOS.
- You take a pragmatic approach to decision making and design choices
*Colorado only - Minimum salary of $104,400.00 to maximum $221,500.00
At GitHub certain roles are eligible for additional rewards, including annual bonus and stock. These rewards are allocated based on individual impact in role. In addition, certain roles also have the opportunity to earn sales incentives based on revenue or utilization, depending on the terms of the plan and the employee's role.
Location: In this role, you can work remotely from anywhere in the following States: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, or onsite at one of GitHub’s West Coast Offices (San Francisco, CA & Bellevue, WA).
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.