We're looking for an experienced Product Security Engineer to join our Product Security Paved Paths team. This team creates and adapts high-impact libraries and tools that allow our developers to move faster by eliminating whole categories of security risk. Through utilizing modern web standards and a deep knowledge of the tech stack, the team is able to create intuitive, self-serve experiences for both GitHub and the world's developers.
To get specific, here are some examples of things you might work on:
- Improving ActiveRecord::Encryption to allow for per-column derived keys
- Evolving our core application's Content Security Policy
- Implementing new and emerging web security standards such as Trusted Types at scale
- Open sourcing and upstreaming new paved security paths into general purpose libraries such as Ruby on Rails
- Communicating learnings both internally and externally in both written and verbal formats
If these things sound cool to you, and you're passionate about application security, please apply!
- Stay up-to-date with emerging security standards and help to identify when and where they should be adopted at GitHub
- Participate in and lead the team’s technical decision making and planning
- Write robust, maintainable backend and frontend code across a variety of tech stacks
- Review code and lead group discussions about the projects we’re working on
- Develop systematic solutions to problems instead of focusing on one-off fixes
- Mentor other engineers, both formally and informally
Note: if you are this close to the qualifications described in this posting, please don't let it discourage you from applying. We'd love to hear from you.
- Experience building software systems, and an understanding of how to scale them
- Experience and passion for secure-by-default architecture
- Knowledge of web application vulnerabilities and mitigations
- Known for being a great communicator and collaborator
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in the field of product security
- Practical software development skills with Ruby on Rails or Go
- Working knowledge of applied cryptography
- Working knowledge of modern web security standards
- Technical leadership experience
- Demonstrated mentorship experience
- Experience using Git and GitHub
Location: In this role, you can work remotely from the following countries: Austria, Denmark, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom or onsite in one of GitHub’s European offices (Amsterdam, Oxford).
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.