GitHub is looking for a dynamic and motivated transactional lawyer to join its growing Corporate, External, and Legal Affairs (CELA) team. This position will help support the GitHub global sales and revenue organizations and accelerate the growth of our business.
GitHub is a fully-owned subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation, providing the world's largest platform for developers and software development: Over 75 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across more than 170 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world's most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together - individuals and in teams - to create the future of software and make a difference in the world. GitHub is also growing rapidly, with our product innovation, customer base, and global presence all seeing significant acceleration. Commercial and public sector customers are also increasingly turning to GitHub to tap the developer innovation on our platform and help them digitally transform how they build software.
The GitHub CELA team is an innovative group of professionals, located across the U.S. and around the world, who collaborate closely together and partner deeply with our clients. We also work closely with the Microsoft CELA team. GitHub CELA operates on the cutting edge of legal practice, policy, and social impact, and, like the rest of the software world, we use GitHub to work more collaboratively, transparently, and efficiently. We believe strongly in working together and from first principles, questioning tradition and basic industry assumptions, and being careful stewards of the unique GitHub culture that we are developing together. We value diversity of thought and experience, excellence and rigor in our work and work product, a commitment to continuous improvement, cultivating a deep understanding of our products and services, intellectual curiosity and a passion for technology, innovation in our practice, high emotional intelligence, and a strong bias for action and driving results.
- Support our international Sales and Revenue organizations on a wide variety of complex agreements as they sell GitHub products and services, and engage strategic and local partners, to reach millions of customers around the globe.
- Provide legal support primarily for the Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) global regions on strategic programs and initiatives, and/or key functions, while also working collaboratively and transparently with others in GitHub CELA and across other organizations across GitHub.
- Draft and negotiate a wide range of standard and complex customer and related sales channel agreements and supporting legal documents, working in close collaboration with teammates and clients.
- Contribute to evolving our legal support, agreement templates, and engagement and empowerment models to scale to an increasing volume and diversity of transactions, while also maintaining a high level of service and quality.
- Juris Doctorate Degree or equivalent International Degree in Law (or Completion of a Legal Apprenticeship)
- Active license to practice law in the U.S. or EMEA region
- 5+ years of experience as a transactional attorney
- Experience with technology law and transactions involving software or cloud services; fundamental understanding of relevant legal subject matter, including intellectual property, open source software, privacy and compliance, and/or security
- Experience working in, or directly supporting, an in-house legal practice
- Strong negotiation, communication, and analytical skills, with a bias for action that drives to balance solutions that scale, advance our business, and meet customer needs
- High standards of personal excellence, strong judgment, and intellectual curiosity that takes your understanding, work product and client relationships to the next level
- The desire and ability to perform as part of a diverse and inclusive team, and to foster a spirit of diversity, inclusion and belonging
- Flexible, personable, and enjoys a dynamic, fast-paced, and remote-first corporate culture
- Technical acumen, and a capacity to quickly learn new business and technology concepts; a wonkish interest in technology a definite plus
Location: In this role, you can work remotely from the following countries: Austria, Denmark, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom or onsite in one of GitHub’s European offices (Amsterdam, Oxford).
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.