GitHub is looking for a research engineer in the area of machine learning to join GitHub Next.
We are a growing team of engineers and researchers. Having made our mark with high-impact success stories like GitHub Copilot, we want to keep leveraging the power of Machine Learning to revolutionize GitHub and hence the world-wide community of developers and creators who rely on it for their daily work. We continue to build on these foundations while at the same time exploring new projects in different areas including AI-enhanced static analysis, supply-chain security, innovative approaches to CI, and many more.
You will be working with other members of our team as well as colleagues from elsewhere in GitHub and Microsoft on providing machine learning solutions to these challenges. Some of the projects at the Innovation Lab are a sustained effort to put an idea that has proven its worth into production and at the fingertips of the world’s developer community, whereas others are an experimental evaluation of a new idea where we iterate quickly to separate ideas that show promise from those that need some more time to mature. While we are not primarily a research outfit, our work does regularly yield novel results and insights along the way, which we publish at academic conferences where applicable.
- Participate in our ongoing projects in the area of code intelligence.
- Conceive, design, train and deploy machine learning models.
- Extend and fine-tune deep learning architectures.
- Help out in the day-to-day running of the Innovation Lab: organizing our webinar series, interviewing new candidates, and disseminating research results.
- Firm theoretical background in machine learning.
- 3 years+ hands-on machine learning experience.
- Previous experience with deep learning, sequence models and NLP.
- Inclination to prototype quickly and make fast decisions on experiment failure.
A creative mindset and good practical skills are more important to us than formal experience.
- PhD in computer science, mathematics, or a related field, or other evidence of the ability to do independent, innovative research.
- Previous experience at working with large, distributed machine learning pipelines, e.g. using Microsoft Azure or k8s.
- Experience training large language models for code generation.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas clearly, both in spoken and written form, for expert as well as novice audiences.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.