GitHub helps companies, organizations, and groups of individuals succeed by allowing them to build better software, together. GitHub’s Data organization is looking for an experienced Senior Director and leader.
The Data organization is established and expanding in scope. We have 4 vertical teams with full complements of Data Science, Data Analysts, and Engineers aligned to GitHub’s strategies and product, supported by a data platform team. The verticals embed closely with partners, executing on joint objectives to deliver both internal product insights and direction and also deliver data-powered solutions ranging from descriptive analytics to machine learning enabled products.
- Developer Cloud: Focused on optimizing our product adoption and engagement footprint to drive profitability across key investment areas such as GitHub Actions and GitHub Codespaces.
- Security: Partners with the GitHub Security organization to help identify spammy or abusive behavior on the platform and helps drive improvements to tools offered to users to keep their code secure (Code Scanning, Secret Scanning, Dependabot, etc).
- Communities: Focused on building effective data products that support GitHub’s vision of creating feedback loops across creation, consumption, communities, and commerce.
- Growth & Core Metrics: Focused on measurement of fundamental metrics of business performance, and supporting decision makers that are focused on growing GitHub as a business across the entire customer journey, from awareness to retention.
- Data Platforms: Delivering scalable and self-service data infrastructure around ingestion, storage, query compute and experiences, transform, BI tooling that enable all the central vertical and other satellite business analytics and product engineering teams.
Your job will be to set direction with clarity, prioritize data investments across GitHub, foster the culture of leading with data, and deliver collaborative results across all of GitHub: the company and the product. The Data team is highly distributed and the right candidate will thrive in an environment of asynchronous communication. We expect you to have excellent written communication skills and be able to create working relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe. In this role also you will lead, provide guidance, support and advice to your team.
- Guide and facilitate setting the direction for the organization by understanding how company vision and strategy maps to data organizational priorities.
- Contribute to and create alignment across the GitHub Engineering, Product, Revenue and external partners.
- Develop and improve on processes to manage the team’s progress and ensure that it is resourced correctly.
- Ensure that individuals learn, grow, and advance in their respective careers.
- Cultivate an environment where team members are empowered and demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and belonging.
- Experience managing data organizations inclusive of data science and engineering.
- Strong ability to communicate with senior management and distill complexity into easy to understand concepts that demonstrate impact.
- Passionate about fostering good data science and engineering practices that scale and encourage reproducibility.
- Enthusiasm for providing feedback, teaching others, and learning new techniques.
- Experience managing distributed remote teams.
Nothing in life is perfect, including this job description. You may be an excellent fit even if you don’t meet all of these qualifications. We look forward to meeting you and hearing about your unique skills and experiences!
Minimum salary of $134,000 to maximum $286,000 + bonus + equity + benefits.
Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20) of the minimum salary compensation for this role when being hired in Colorado.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.