The world's largest community of software developers are building and collaborating on GitHub. It's our job to help them collaborate, communicate, and solve problems together better.
Senior Researcher, we're looking for you to join us on the GitHub Customer Research team! The Customer Research team at GitHub is a core part of the Design organization and works closely with designers, PMs, and analytics.
Our job is to help GitHub build the tools and experiences that support the future of software development. As researchers, we love exploring how people behave and learning what motivates them.
When we understand customers’ mental models, their team’s workflows, and their organization’s constraints, we can make smarter product bets.
Our work varies from week to week - across a variety of methods you'll likely be answering questions like:
- What are new-to-GitHub users expecting to find when they sign up?
- Why did customers try feature X once but not make it a regular part of their workflows?
- How do these early workflows align with how customers think about their projects?
- What factors influence how quickly and how thoroughly people respond to work items?
This is an opportunity to impact how our organization develops the practice of research. If you think this is for you, we’ll give the support you need to do your best work in getting there.
- Drive alignment in the cross-functional teams you work with - Who’s the target customer? What problems do they most need to solve?
- Identify ‘good questions to ask’ and conduct the self-driven generative research to answer them
- Coach and support PMs and designers in doing their own day-to-day customer conversations and prototype evaluations
- Collaborate closely with design, product management, and engineering leads to prioritize research opportunities in a fast-paced environment
- Actively share insights and provoke questions to de-silo teams across product and design areas
- Present research findings with a compelling presentation and communication style
- You’re confident in presenting and convincing at the leadership level
- You have broad experience with a wide variety of qualitative research methods applied across the product development process
- You know how develop tools that democratize research practices across a product organization
- You have experience conducting research on developer tools or other technical products
- Familiarity with GitHub, programming, or the ability to quickly self-teach
- You bias toward action
- 5+ years leading end-to-end (study design, test creation, recruiting, moderation, analysis, reporting) research projects with demonstrated impact
- Experience working with a remote, distributed team (about 70% of GitHub’s workforce is distributed across the globe and our research team works remotely)
- You’ve worked alongside others writing and reviewing code - as a full-time developer, open source contributor, or regular hackathon participant
- You have experience conducting research in markets outside of the US, Europe, or Canada
Minimum salary of $104,400 to maximum $221,500 + bonus + equity + benefits.
Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20) of the minimum salary compensation for this role when being hired in Colorado.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.