As the Chief of Staff to the VP of Communities at GitHub, you'll work directly for the VP of Communities responsible for all GitHub community focused features. You will focus on strategically chosen projects, decision making, and messaging that further our attainment of GitHub's strategic vision. You'll be a critical partner to stakeholders across the business, communicating plans, elevating questions, and paving our path forward.
You will collaborate with the VP of Communities' leadership team to implement recommendations to more efficiently operate and scale our organization. This includes setting the rhythm of the business through the design and facilitation of staff meetings, gathering of feedback from 1:1s throughout the organization, and synthesizing that into effective all-hands broadcasts and agendas for off-site summits.
You will help the organization put its best foot forward through your facilitation of highly visible meetings with leaders at GitHub and executives at many of the world's most recognizable brands.
Your work will include contribution to product and community direction, strategic planning, project management, performance analysis, team analytics, budgeting, executive meetings, and communications.
This role requires a highly resourceful, self-driven individual with the ability to partner, execute, and lead through influence.
- Research and offer recommendations to keep the organization on a path of continuous improvement.
- Manage operational rhythm of the business, including building meeting agendas, capturing key insights, and tracking action items to completion.
- Coordinate quarterly and semester-based planning across the organization, including regular off-sites.
- Aid the VP of Communities in weekly prioritization of speaking opportunities, messaging needs, decision making and progress reviews.
- Assists the VP on a daily basis, traveling with and attending meetings alongside, taking accurate and comprehensive account of meeting outcomes and action items.
- Create and execute briefings ahead of all meetings and events, create talking points, and written communication for both internal and external stakeholders.
- Communicate discoveries, progress and results from initiatives to management and/or the broader organization.
- Distill and cascade core tenets of our strategy for leadership and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Meet and speak with our community and customers in order to understand their needs.
- Provide the team with insightful data-driven recommendations in all facets of the organization's operation.
- Lead initiatives and projects on behalf of the leadership team, advancing both the goal clarity and project execution.
- Attend meetings on behalf of the VP of Communities and speak as their representative when appropriate.
- Act as VP of Communities' proxy and highly-accessible information source for other major functions, including Product, Engineering, Communications, PR, Marketing, Revenue, HR, Talent Acquisition, Finance, Legal and Operations.
- Obtain cross-functional knowledge to understand issues, trends, and perspectives that may influence the business and connect the dots for key stakeholders to drive increased alignment.
- 5+ years of experience working in a highly technical industry.
- 3+ years of experience in Project Management or similar area.
- Proven pattern of high-quality decision making with a strategic impact.
- Experience partnering effectively with cross-functional teams or projects.
- Demonstrated ability to navigate ambiguity through curiosity and research.
- Excellence in written business communications, including artifacts considered executive-ready.
- Problem-solving using frameworks, making the goal clear and execution efficient.
- Experience with open source software communities.
- Experience using GitHub.
- Knowledge of modern software development workflows, tooling, and ecosystems.
- Experience in management consulting.
- Proven results in working with C-level stakeholders.
- Familiarity with techniques and patterns of organizational design.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience as a Chief of Staff.
- Ability to lead through influence.
- Demonstrated Program Management skills on complex initiatives.
- Travel Requirements ~ 25%
(Colorado only*) Minimum salary of $105,400 to maximum $223,600 + bonus + equity + benefits.
· Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20) of the minimum salary compensation for this role when being hired in Colorado.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.