GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help build GitHub! We’re looking for an experienced Director of Engineering to lead our Actions Platform teams.
Actions Platform provides the underlying tooling and technologies for GitHub Actions. Actions is a core part of GitHub and enables developers around the world. Millions of GitHub customers rely on your team's work every single day.
You’ll support Engineering Managers and Engineers distributed across the United States and Europe to bring amazing these for GitHub users. You’ll also work closely with the teams building Actions, while interfacing with other teams across GitHub to ensure close collaboration on developer experiences. You’ll help set product direction, and you’ll be involved in implementation, scaling, reliability and customer success to ensure we’re setting our teams and customers up for success.
The people on our teams believe that creating great products for GitHub users is a ton of fun, and you’ll be inspired by the opportunity to help enable developers all over the world to build world-changing things with our tools.
- Do whatever you can to enable the collective success of your team, ensuring they’re working on things that will positively impact users
- Ensure that individuals on the team are learning, growing, and advancing in their respective careers through sponsorship, coaching, and exposing opportunities
- Foster a culture of safety and inclusivity, where feedback is shared and received with empathy and kindness to help the team improve
- Empower the team to do highly impactful work while facilitating connections and removing blockers
- Cultivate an environment across the company where team members are empowered and demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and belonging
- Communicate and amplify the efforts of your team with senior leadership, and facilitate connections across teams to ensure a cohesive end-to-end user experience
- Ensure the team, the company and the community have a clear understanding of the direction of the projects and the reasoning behind decisions
- Participate in hiring and sourcing to build a diverse high performance team of managers and engineers
- 4+ years of experience leading engineering teams delivering products, ideally for consumers
- 2+ years of experience managing through managers, including coaching managers to foster and improve team culture and tempo
- 5+ years of experience on teams building large scale web applications is a plus
- Experience shipping products regularly to customers, gathering feedback, and quickly iterating
- Demonstrated involvement in design decisions
- Passionate about fostering good engineering practices and processes
- Experience building a strategy and roadmap with your teams
- Experience with hiring & building teams
- Excellent analytical skills as well as verbal and written communication skills. We’re a distributed team spanning across multiple continents, so we value clear, direct, and empathetic communication.
- Experience in Ruby, Golang, C#, Azure is a plus.
- At least 1 year of remote work experience leading a distributed software team is a plus
(Colorado only*) Minimum salary of $118,100 to maximum $250,600 + bonus + equity + benefits.
· Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20) of the minimum salary compensation for this role when being hired in Colorado.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.