GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help build GitHub! We are looking for a compassionate people manager who has previous hands-on engineering experience to join the Git Systems group.
You will lead a new team within our Git Systems engineering group, which collectively runs the largest code-hosting platform in the world. Our group is responsible for the services that store and serve Git repositories, both directly to users and to other layers in the GitHub software stack.The new team we’re creating with this role will be responsible for designing a new storage architecture for storing large monorepo Git repositories in the cloud.
The Git Systems group is highly distributed and the right candidate will thrive in an environment of asynchronous communication. We expect you to have excellent written communication skills and be able to create working relationships with coworkers located around the globe. In this role also you will lead, providing guidance, support and advice to your team. Examples of previous work within this group include: improving large monorepo performance, championing efficient ways of working with Git repositories and working on Git itself.
Together we create the tools and products that are integral to how people build software. We pride ourselves on being thoughtful, intentional, and productive. We hope you are as well.
- Cultivate an environment where team members are empowered and demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and belonging
- Meet with team members 1-on-1 on a regular basis
- Ensure that individuals on the team learn, grow and advance in their respective careers
- Create a shared understanding of decision making, direction, and progress for the team, the company, and the community.
- 2 or more years experience managing engineering teams
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail in planning and organization
- Passionate about fostering good engineering practices and processes
- Worked previously with a distributed team
- Experience developing a strategy and roadmap for your teams
- Prior experience managing a distributed team
- Prior experience leading teams who code in Go (we also use Ruby, C and Rust in places too)
- People generally tell you you’re an organized person
- Prior experience with building and operating services at global scale
Nothing in life is perfect, including this job description. You may be an excellent fit even if you don’t meet all of these qualifications. We look forward to meeting you and hearing about your unique skills and experiences!
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.