GitHub is changing the way the world builds software and we want you to help. We are looking for an experienced software engineering manager to lead one of the engineering teams in our Platform organization. This team is focused on building and running GitHub AE, GitHub’s SaaS offering that delivers the fast-growing portfolio of GitHub experiences to our largest customers.
You will work with our distributed team of diverse and passionate engineers, designers, and product managers to build a world-class service, investing in runtime scalability and resiliency, operational scale, developer experience, and features that enable enterprises to maintain secure and compliant software supply chains. Partnering well with other GitHub teams, both in platform and product engineering is essential for this role.
We recognize the value diversity brings to our teams and our products, so creating (and maintaining) an environment where every individual feels safe to bring their unique perspective to the challenges we're solving is important to us.
A day in the life:
Our team is distributed worldwide which means we work asynchronously much of the time. Your typical week would include:
- Collaborating with internal engineering teams, product management, and engineering leadership to align on and understand the problems we want to solve
- Working with the team to explore how we can solve them, often via real-time conversations in Slack or Zoom, with asynchronous communication in GitHub Issues, PRs, Discussions, and Projects
- Communicating effectively to support internal users, and inform stakeholders of progress as well as system status and team health
- Conducting 1:1s with direct reports to provide regular feedback and ensure career growth and progression, coordinating work within the team and stakeholders, building relationships, and identifying opportunities and areas of improvement
- Working with your manager in your 1:1 meetings to grow yourself and career, and participating in department planning and running-the-business meetings
- Ensuring the team ships products, features, and bug fixes regularly
- 2+ years experience managing engineering teams
- Experience communicating with high-level stakeholders and executing large initiatives in an iterative fashion
- Passionate about fostering good engineering practices and processes
- Experience developing a strategy and roadmap for your team
- Experience with Go or Ruby, plus experience in Kubernetes or other container orchestration systems
- Experience building and maintaining large, distributed systems
- Developed and operated production applications in a cloud or Linux environment
Nothing in life is perfect, including this job description! You may be an excellent fit even if you don’t meet all of the qualifications. We look forward to meeting you and hearing about your unique skills and experiences.
Ability to meet GitHub, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position requires you to pass Microsoft's Cloud Screen upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter (Microsoft is GitHub’s parent company).
Minimum salary of $62,200 to maximum $250,600 + bonus + equity + benefits.
Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20) of the minimum salary compensation for this role when being hired in Colorado.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.