GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help change the way we secure GitHub. We are looking for an experienced Security Engineer to evolve and advance the cloud security posture of GitHub and its ecosystem.
As a Security Engineer, you will work alongside other members of the GitHub Security, IT, and Engineering organizations to help drive technical direction for all things cloud security. Cloud Security Engineers at GitHub are self-starters, able to work autonomously in ambiguous environments, and collaborative natural problem solvers with experience automating and integrating disparate technologies. You should have strong problem-solving skills, excellent communication skills, a deep technical understanding of modern cloud and containerized security threats, the ability to influence people from customers to managers through technical solutions, and the desire to be an integral contributor to securing GitHub systems.
Security Operations Responsibilities
- Collaborate with Engineering teams across GitHub to design, build, and validate secure and scalable architectures in the cloud.
- Provide threat modeling and risk assessment services to characterize the risk and severity posture of various systems and components in the Cloud environment
- Develop and Deploy security guardrails through reusable patterns using standardized frameworks
- Implement information security controls and patterns that support risk assessments and the development of secure architectures.
- Collect security-related operational metrics through automation and increase security visibility across the organization; measure the coverage and effectiveness of security tools; transparency over the security state of the Cloud)
- Identify opportunities for process improvement, including developing and implementing internal security tools, tactics, and procedures.
- Provide security-related guidance and documentation.
- Experience building or managing Cloud Platforms, Products, or Services
- Experience with one or more major cloud service providers (AWS, Google Cloud, or Microsoft Azure)
- Experience in Cloud Security especially implementing Azure security controls
- Extensive experience building security solutions, ideally for cloud services
- Experience with Azure Resources deployment and Azure Policy
- Excellent presentation skills and experience presenting to management
- Experience performing threat modeling and design reviews to assess security implications and requirements for introducing new technologies
- Ability to produce concise and quality technical documentation
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
(Colorado only*) Minimum salary of $75,000 to maximum $221,500 + bonus + equity + benefits.
· Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20) of the minimum salary compensation for this role when being hired in Colorado.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.