GitHub is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to lead a group of engineers working on Primer, GitHub’s design system, and brand experiences at the intersection of design, visualizations, and code. This team is responsible for the development and maintenance of visualizations, UI components built in React.js and Rails, documentation, and tooling that support GitHub marketing properties.
What we're looking for:
Managers at GitHub are people managers and provide technical leadership, so we look for candidates with IC experience in the same field as the people they will be managing. For this specific role we're looking for someone who values the following:
- Systems thinking: Our team has to apply decisions holistically, making sure to look at new patterns in context to the larger system of the product, as well as ensuring we support experiences for individual features.
- Inclusive design: GitHub is a home for all developers and our design system and marketing experiences should reflect that. This means including and learning from people with a range of perspectives. Designing for inclusivity first can lead us to solve problems for the many and open up our product for more people.
- Creating together: Getting to the right result is our focus. This can come from platform engineers or product engineers, and ideally both. Facilitating collaboration between teams and individuals is key so that we continue to evolve the design system and brand experiences alongside the needs of the product.
- Progress and impact: Our team often works on the meta and so it's easy to get caught up in the design details. We have to be mindful of this and ensure we keep making decisions and move forward. This means being solutions-oriented and prioritizing progress over correctness when it's the right call.
- Candidness: We encourage candidness and recognize its role in building trust between managers and reports and with peers and leadership. It can take time and effort to get there, but it's worth it. Making decisions for projects, design patterns, and processes will yield better results when we can get to the “real talk.”
- Help set your team up for success and enable them to do their best work.
- Cultivate an environment where team members are empowered and demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and belonging.
- Provide regular feedback and direction to your team.
- Partner with design and product leadership to prioritize work.
- Ensure that individuals on the team are learning, growing, and advancing in their respective careers.
- Ensure the team builds software that is architecturally consistent and of high quality.
- Ensure your team regularly ships agreed-upon deliverables, looking to exceed expectations when opportunities arise.
- Ensure the team, the company, and the community has a clear understanding of the direction of projects and the reasoning behind decisions.
- Build impactful relationships with design, product, and other cross-functional partners you’re working with.
- Recruit and onboard new engineers to your team.
You might be a fit if:
- You have experience leading front-end engineering teams or similar.
- You are passionate about fostering healthy team culture and individual growth.
- You have 2+ years of experience with managing engineering teams.
- You have 5+ years minimum engineering experience as an individual contributor.
- You have led the implementation of complex components, websites, and applications.
- You can develop strategies and roadmaps that create energy and bring clarity to your team and stakeholders.
- You have a passion for the web as a storytelling medium and are familiar with design fundamentals like typography, layout, and motion.
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- You have a proven track record of executing initiatives.
- You have experience working with a distributed team.
- You have a desire and willingness to not only explore new things, but also to systemize, maintain, and iterate on existing experiences.
These qualifications will help you stand out:
- Developed or managed teams that built APIs or frameworks at scale.
- Built or maintained planet-scale engineering systems.
- Have managed a distributed team.
- Experience building component libraries.
- Experience building data visualizations or engaging brand experiences with technologies like WebGL, shaders, Canvas, and SVGs.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.