GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help build GitHub!
The GitHub Actions team is responsible for the full stack of features and technologies powering the Actions experience on GitHub. As a team we are building the future of code automation enabling our customers to innovate and collaborate on both their continuous integration / deployment scenarios as well as software development workflows. You can learn more about GitHub Actions here: https://github.com/features/actions.
We’re looking for an experienced Director of Engineering to lead our Actions Core teams.
You’ll support multiple engineering managers and engineers distributed across the United States and Europe to bring amazing experiences for GitHub users. You will work on Actions features in github.com and GitHub Enterprise Server — you’ll work with our team of engineers to build and maintain features that create rich and compelling experiences for millions of developers across the world. This role requires a generalist with an understanding of front and back end technologies as well as an appreciation for infrastructure concerns to work on a feature focussed team.
The people on our teams believe that creating great products for GitHub users is a ton of fun, and you should be inspired by the opportunity to help enable developers and enterprises all over the world to build world-changing things using our tools.
- Coordinate with engineering, product and design leadership to define and prioritize projects that help us meet business objectives.
- Work with the team to understand technical constraints, and develop, communicate, and track against realistic plans to consistently ship products, features, and bug fixes.
- Work with the team to build architecturally consistent, high quality software to reliably meet customer needs and exceed their expectations
- Support a highly available service used by millions of users on a daily basis
- Own and advocate for the health and quality of the systems that the team builds and respond to incidents as necessary.
- Communicate and amplify the efforts of your team with senior leadership, and facilitate connections across teams to ensure a cohesive end-to-end user experience.
- Help cultivate an environment where team members are empowered and demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and belonging.
- Help ensure that individuals on the team are learning, growing and advancing in their respective careers through mentorship, pairing, and delegating work that helps them grow
- Drive data-driven improvements to both product quality and engineering efficiency.
- Build a high performing team of engineers by participating in hiring and sourcing processes
- Foster a culture of safety and inclusivity, where feedback is shared and received with empathy and kindness to help the team improve
- Empower the team to do highly impactful work while facilitating connections and removing blockers
- 4+ years of experience leading engineering teams delivering products, ideally for consumers
- 2+ years of experience managing through managers, including coaching managers to foster and improve team culture and tempo
- 8 + years experience developing web applications or large scale systems
- Experience in driving results and delivering products through a team
- Experience designing, building and scaling distributed systems
- Experience with maintaining production systems including: monitoring, observability and diagnosing problems
- Strong customer focus and data-driven approach
- Experience building and effectively contributing to technical strategy and roadmaps
- Experience with hiring & building teams
- Excellent analytical skills as well as verbal and written communication skills. We’re a distributed team spanning across multiple continents, so we value clear, direct, and empathetic communication.
(Colorado only*) Minimum salary of $118,100 to maximum $250,600 + bonus + equity + benefits.
· Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20) of the minimum salary compensation for this role when being hired in Colorado.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.