GitHub is changing the way the world builds and secures software, and we want you to help build GitHub!
As GitHub grows its portfolio of services, it’s essential that we use data to inform our strategic decision making. The internal GitHub data warehouse assembles important business and product data from a variety of sources. To enable a data informed business we are investing in data models that describe our product and operations in a user-friendly way, and are designed to enable internal teams across the business to make informed decisions using self-serve BI experiences. We are looking for someone passionate about analytics, data modeling, and analytics engineering with strong product management experience to lead our data modeling investments across the business.
As a senior leader in the Data team, you’ll be responsible for coordinating investments in data models across GitHub, ensuring that they meet the needs of our internal customers, are reliable sources of truth, and are well-integrated with our core business intelligence experience. Your job will be to make it as easy as possible for GitHub staff to self-serve data and get to insights fast.
Together with other senior leaders on GitHub’s Data team, you’ll be responsible for defining a vision and strategy for how our Data Platform evolves to support the needs of the business. This is a highly-visible role with GitHub, with frequent interactions with senior leaders in Data, Product, Engineering, the field, marketing as well as other key decision makers across the company.
What you will be doing:
- Own the vision for your area. You will be responsible for ensuring all GitHub teams are able to make valuable, trustworthy insights through analytics and reporting using common data models. You will need to work across the entire company, especially other data teams across the business, to build the vision for how we use data at GitHub and ensure it aligns with our business goals.
- Manage the roadmap. Make tough tactical prioritization decisions while helping the team think long-term. Build trust with stakeholders by maintaining an understandable, accurate roadmap.
- Collaborate across teams. Your success will require coordination across multiple teams and domains at GitHub. We build large systems that span many teams and so we win or lose together.
- Data driven decision making. Analyze data for trends and potential developer pain points, and use this to prioritize and inform how to improve our systems and general analytics and data science ecosystem. Go back to the data when needed to answer questions.
- Measure success. Own the measures used to define success for your area. Success measures must be defined at the inception of a product and tracked throughout its lifecycle. Make measures visible to all stakeholders and interpret them into actionable conclusions and new hypotheses.
- You have 5+ years of engineering, product management, program management, or equivalent experience with demonstrated ability to bring people together to build data management infrastructure. Candidates with a high degree of data-literacy such as a strong background in analytics will also be considered.
- You have the technical depth that enables you to collaborate with data engineers and data scientists and drive technical discussions about design of data models, ETLs, deployment of data infrastructure.
- You have strong technical abilities and a track record of working through complex technical problems.
- You possess strong communication skills, with clear verbal communication as well as explicit and mindful written communication skills.
- You strive to empower others and build an inclusive team.
- You have experience with ETL solutions such as Airflow and dbt, and experience of enabling analysts and data engineers to automate the testing and deployment of the data transformation process.
- You have experience building and running services in Azure.
- You are passionate about effective delivery of data and data-driven insights to a diverse audience
(Colorado only*) Minimum salary of $129,500 to maximum $171,400 + bonus + equity + benefits.
· Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20) of the minimum salary compensation for this role when being hired in Colorado.
*Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Recruiter!
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.