GitHub is looking for an experienced senior product designer to build the future of GitHub’s iOS and Android apps. More than one million people use GitHub Mobile every month to keep their teams unblocked, review and merge code, and discover new open source projects. You will help to unchain even more workflows from the desktop, build better ways to discover great projects and developers, and enable the flywheel of software development to spin faster around the world.
You will feel at home if you are detail-oriented, passionate about designing mobile experiences, and want to enable the next generation of software creators to be productive wherever they go.
The GitHub Product Design Team is a group of talented individuals with varied backgrounds in product design, design systems, design ops, front-end development, and illustration. You'll focus on building high-quality experiences for customers by working with engineers, product managers, and other product designers to create and advocate for high-quality design.
What we're looking for:
Product Designers at GitHub are expert individual contributors; they're given a lot of autonomy and trust to work on our most impactful design projects. For this specific role, we're looking for someone who values:
- Progress and tempo: It's easy to get caught up in the meta-design details, so our team has to be particularly mindful that we make decisions quickly and keep moving forward. This means embracing “incremental correctness,” and valuing the results that a fast-paced workflow can bring.
- Candor: We encourage candor and recognize its role in building trust between designers, engineers, and other collaborators. Making decisions for projects, design patterns, and processes will yield better results when we get to the "real talk" faster. It can take time and effort to get there, but it's worth it.
- Shaping: You’ll be designing developer experiences with a point of view, where deciding what not to do is as essential as deciding what should make it into the final product.
- Visual design: Mastering the elements and principles of design is essential for this role. We know good design is not just about aesthetics, but only a well-executed design can be beautiful.
- Design experiences for our iOS and Android applications.
- Seek and provide regular design feedback and direction with your peers.
- Work closely with customers to understand their problems and workflows, respond to feedback and bugs, and validate product ideas early.
- Seek out opportunities for connecting with people and teams across GitHub who are working on related projects.
- Build meaningful relationships with product, engineering, and other cross-functional partners you're working with.
You might be a fit if:
- You have a strong product design portfolio with experience creating mobile applications.
- You have at least 5 years of design experience as an individual contributor.
- You are organized and are comfortable contributing to multiple ongoing features.
- You can identify high-impact problems and opportunities, then iterate quickly to validate your assumptions.
- You are comfortable using Git version control or have experience building software with GitHub.
- You are a great storyteller and are comfortable sharing your work with other designers, managers, and leaders.
These qualifications will help you stand out:
- You have a technical background or experience working on developer tools.
- You have experience contributing to or using an established design system.
- You have experience designing cross-platform experiences.
Minimum salary of $104,400 to maximum $221,500 + bonus + equity + benefits.
Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20) of the minimum salary compensation for this role when being hired in Colorado.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.