GitHub is looking for an experienced Senior Design Manager to lead a group of talented designers working in the Data and Security Products area.
In the DSP team, our mission is to unlock the data to both improve the productivity of software development teams and secure their software. We aim to provide a deep understanding of the development process at every level, surfacing ways to measure their productivity, and explore their usage of tools in a data-informed manner and take positive action. We're building tools that make it easy to find, fix and prevent security vulnerabilities, and are deploying them to millions of developers. This is also the place to look at the data from GitHub's own development processes and services to make them the best and reliable service on the planet. Our products include GitHub's Insights, dependency graph, secret scanning, and code scanning capabilities.
What we're looking for:
Managers in the product design org are people managers and design leads, so we look for candidates with IC experience in the same field as the people they will be managing. For this specific role, we're looking for someone who values the following:
- Progress and impact: We are a solutions-oriented team and prioritize progress over correctness when it's the right call.
- Creating together: Getting to the right result is our focus. Facilitating collaboration between teams and individuals is key to evolving our products.
- Systems thinking: We know our products don’t live in a silo. When we propose solutions, we need to understand the context and its consequences on other parts of the experience.
- Candidness: We encourage candidness and recognize its role in building trust between IC’s and managers or peers. It can take time and effort to get there, but it's worth it.
- You will help set your team up for success and enable them to do their best work, providing and soliciting regular feedback.
- You will help the team prioritize quarterly projects and incoming requests against business needs, contributing to the strategy of your area of responsibility.
- You will work with designers on your team to develop their career paths and provide coaching to grow their skills, building a culture of design excellence.
- You will be responsible for communicating your team's goals and seeking opportunities to collaborate with other teams working on related projects.
- You will help develop the roadmap for GitHub developer cloud projects in collaboration with your EPD leadership team.
- You will build impactful relationships across the product, engineering, and other cross-functional partners you're working with.
- You will recruit and onboard new designers to your team.
- You have 2+ years of experience leading a product design team.
- You have 5+ years of product design experience as an individual contributor.
- You have experience building and shipping applications or software across various platforms.
- You have experience coaching and mentoring designers, supporting them in growing their skills and careers.
- You are organized and comfortable overseeing multiple design projects, ensuring that your team can stay focused on creating great experiences.
- You know how to apply just enough process, keeping the team nimble and successful in a culture that values moving fast and iterating quickly.
- You can find the highest impact opportunities and iterate on them quickly while things are in motion.
- You are confident in writing HTML & CSS and comfortable using Git version control.
- You are familiar with using GitHub on a team or for personal projects.
- You have experience recruiting and onboarding designers.
- You have experience leading product strategy.
These qualifications will help you stand out:
- You have a technical background or experience working on developer tools.
- You have experience delivering products from concept stages to launch.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.