As Director of Content Marketing and Strategy, this role will lead our content marketing team at GitHub in producing compelling, relevant content experiences that support all parts of the funnel—from thought leadership and awareness through acquisition and retention. This role isn’t just about sharing a message, but actively thinking about how to better help connect developers and customers with all that’s happening across the community and within GitHub. Given that, this person needs to have a deep understanding and first-hand experience building content strategies and programs about software development, for SaaS companies, and for technical audiences. Knowledge of the software development industry and open source is a must.
This person is a creative marketer and content professional with excellent writing skills and extensive experience developing content across the full marketing funnel. They have a strong grasp and intuition for messaging, story development, engagement models, and marketing tactics, all under the lenses of various audience needs. They have a strong knowledge of SEO and appreciation for how to optimize content experiences while still retaining brand voice and optimal audience experience, and they use a data-minded approach to build measurement frameworks connecting content to pipeline.
This person is also a passionate people manager who loves leading teams, developing talent, and building a vision for a skilled team of content writers and strategists. They’re an expert cross-functional leader and teammate, rolling up their sleeves to solve problems and crafting solutions when challenges arise.
This person will join the Brand and Content team, working cross-functionally with teams like Product Marketing, Integrated Demand, Growth, Docs, and Site Design. The team’s work is highly visible, so candidates should be comfortable working with executives and senior leadership. Excellent communication and collaboration skills, high levels of compassion for colleagues and the developer community, and eagle-eyed editing skills are absolutely required—as is the ability to multitask and project manage like a pro.
- Grow and nurture a team of content professionals, guiding the vision and supporting the realization of that vision
- Define and implement process and precision to content planning and execution
- Be able to clearly communicate a growth strategy, and how to measure its success
- Deeply understand the challenges developers and customers face, and use those to guide the team’s focus
- Collaborate across the organization to ensure alignment, consistency of voice, and prioritization
- Be able to see the immediate opportunities but also the long-term objectives, and building pathways to each
- Explain highly technical, complex concepts and features succinctly and in a way that deeply resonates with the developer audience
- 10+ years of professional content experience, 5+ years of content leadership experience in the technology and/or SaaS space
- Strong track record of building content teams, and a proven ability to attract, grow, and retain top talent
- A strong point of view for the future of GitHub’s content strategy
- Proven experience mapping SEO initiatives to company growth goals
- Knowledge of the software development industry and experience writing for the developer community
- History of working with cross-functional stakeholders, executing strategies to deliver excellent solutions, and managing cross-functional projects
- Ability to see top down and bottom up—can move seamlessly between high-level, strategic thinking and more nuanced, tactical lenses
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Experience working closely with executives and senior stakeholders
- Ability to be nimble, empathetic, and collaborative
- Demonstrated ability to work calmly and maintain good judgment in high-stress environments
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with strong editing abilities and attention to detail
- A portfolio of content written for developer audience
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.