GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help build GitHub! We’re looking for experienced software engineering managers to join the GitHub Actions team. We have openings across several teams including:
- The Compute Team which ensures the massive capacity required to power Actions runners is used efficiently, ensures fair use of our service, and supports our community through runner image maintainership.
- The Platform Team which builds the systems, tools, and services that empower all of our Actions engineers to deliver across multiple platforms and interface with cloud providers.
As a team we are building the future of code automation enabling our customers to innovate and collaborate on both their continuous integration / deployment scenarios as well as software development workflows. We are not only committed to delivering the best experience possible, but are committed to do that at a high availability & scale. You can learn more about GitHub Actions here: https://github.com/features/actions.
You will also be involved in the design, rollout and support of a highly performant, highly scalable and highly available services and infrastructure with your team and product partners. Together we are creating the tools and products that are integral to how people build software. We pride ourselves on being thoughtful, intentional, and productive. We hope you do as well.
- Help ensure that individuals on the team are learning, growing and advancing in their respective careers through mentorship, pairing, and delegating work
- Participate in hiring and sourcing to build a diverse high performance engineering team
- Cultivate an environment across the company where team members are empowered and demonstrate a strong sense of ownership and belonging
- Work with the team to develop, communicate, and track progress against long term plans
- Coordinate with engineering, product and design leadership to define and prioritize projects that help us meet business objectives
- Ensure the team, the company and the community have a clear understanding of the direction of the projects and the reasoning behind decisions
- Think creatively while balancing technical constraints and customer needs to enable your team to build architecturally consistent, high quality software to reliably meet customer needs and exceed their expectations
- Support a highly available service used by millions of users on a daily basis
- Own and advocate for the health and quality of the systems that the team builds, participate in a manager on-call rotation, and respond to incidents as necessary
- Drive data driven improvements to both product quality and engineering efficiency
- 2+ years of experience leading engineering teams delivering high availability, enterprise grade services
- 8+ years of experience developing web applications or large scale systems.
- Experience in C# (.NET core), Go, or Ruby is a plus.
- Experience with SQL, general database knowledge
- Passionate about fostering good engineering practices and processes
- Experience developing a strategy and roadmap for your teams
- Experience with hiring & building teams
- Demonstrated design skills for large scale and highly available cloud services or distributed systems
- Experience with maintaining production systems including: monitoring, observability and diagnosing problems
- Excellent analytical skills as well as communication skills both verbal and written. We’re a distributed team so we’re extra mindful about communication.
- Strong customer focus and data driven approach
- At least 1 year of remote work experience leading a distributed software team
Ability to meet GitHub, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft, GitHub’s parent company, Cloud Screen upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.