GitHub is seeking systems and software engineering professionals to join the Enterprise Server team in our Platform and Enterprise organization. We believe that building out, maintaining and evolving the infrastructure that runs GitHub and much of the internet is a top priority and helps developers grow and build the world around them. This crosses both the public and private sectors and makes a direct daily impact on millions of developers. This role is an opportunity to learn and grow on multiple fronts.
In order to accomplish this, we believe our team needs to continue to evolve and change. We challenge each other each day to be better developers, better teammates and build a better product. While there are many tools in the tool box, we are passionate about Test Driven Development, Pair Programming, Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, Culture of Experimentation and Lean Agile as a way of operating. We are extremely supportive of remote, async work and a remote-first-async-first team culture. We strive to live in a world where everyone on the team has an equal voice, is empowered to innovate and can make a big impact.
The primary responsibilities of this role are to design, code and maintain the software, services and infrastructure that powers our enterprise customers. If you are passionate about software engineering and enterprise grade infrastructure, are excited by constantly learning in an ever-changing environment and market and above all, love to focus on customers and building products they love – we want to hear from you!
- Plan, design, implement, and review the software that powers the infrastructure underlying GitHub's user-facing enterprise products.
- Evaluate and recommend solutions, and guide team decision making.
- Work closely with other Infrastructure and Application teams to ensure we ship the highest quality Enterprise experience.
- Maintain and diagnose that software as it runs in production on our customers’ premises.
- Document the systems you help build, provide feedback and code reviews to your peers in a constructive way.
- Focus on the customers and last mile delivery.
- Work within a shared ownership model, working collaboratively with peer teams on all facets of our product.
- Track record of building infrastructure automation
- Proficiency in any two of: Ruby, Go, and Bash.
- Experience with GitHub's underlying technology stack (linux, resque, redis, MySQL, unicorn, etc.).
- A deep understanding of monitoring and troubleshooting and enjoy diagnosing and fixing reliability problems.
- Strong written communication skills and enjoy developing working relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe.
- Comfortable working asynchronously with a distributed team.
- Experience building infrastructure and automation
- Experience with monitoring, alerting and operations
- Experience with distributed systems with high availability requirements
- Experience with incident response
- Have run production applications in a Linux or Unix environment at scale.
- Experience developing distributed cloud architectures and infrastructure.
- Experience designing, building and operating highly available, highly reliable systems.
Ability to meet GitHub, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position requires you to pass Microsoft's Cloud Screen upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter (Microsoft is GitHub’s parent company).
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.