GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help build GitHub. We're looking for a software engineer to join a passionate, collaborative, distributed group of engineers on our team.
The Growth team is responsible for helping more people succeed with GitHub and become customers. We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer who will own engineering projects within the team to increase customer acquisition, activation, retention, and revenue. You’ll be part of the Growth engineering team collaborating with people from product, marketing, customer success, and design. The Growth discipline blends product, marketing, data science, and experimentation. Everything you work on will have a direct and measurable impact on GitHub’s business metrics and trajectory.
If you are motivated by solving customer pain points, moving metrics, and seeing the impact of your code on the business in weeks, and if you love questioning assumptions and designing experiments to validate them, then this could be a perfect opportunity for you!
We’re looking for front-end, backend, and full-stack developers. Come work on the tools you use every day!
A day in the life of a Senior Software Engineer:
Our team is distributed worldwide which means we work asynchronously most of the time. Your typical week would include:
- Collaborating with engineers, product management, design, and support to understand, prioritize, and solve problems
- Opening a Pull Request to implement the next most important feature or fix the most critical bug
- Responding to issues and review requests from other teams at GitHub
- Reviewing your teammates' design docs and Pull Requests and providing helpful feedback
- Working with your engineering manager in your one-on-one meetings to grow your team and career
- Leveraging data to identify growth opportunities and propose new experiments. We believe great ideas come from everywhere in the team.
- Provide compassionate technical mentorship, pairing opportunities, and code reviews to encourage the growth of others
- Write, test, instrument, document, and maintain code, primarily in Ruby
- Write clear design docs and recommend solutions for technical problems
- Analyze how your features are performing in production to learn and make the product better
- Collaboratively define and prioritize projects and tasks
- Drive helpful conversations around technical issues and engineering practices, suggesting improvements and ideas as you see them
- Review code and provide thoughtful, constructive feedback for your team
- Triage, reproduce, and debug technical support requests, bugs, and feature requests reported by users in our Issues on GitHub
- 5+ years experience as a full-time professional developer
- 2+ years experience with a modern OO programming language
- Strong written communication skills
- Passionate about healthy team culture and collaboration
- Experience working asynchronously on a remote, distributed team (does not have to be professional experience)
- Ability to learn and think critically about both system design and software engineering concepts and blend those perspectives pragmatically based on project needs
- Familiarity with Git
- Experience with Ruby on Rails
- Experience with CSS and HTML
- Knowledge of testing, profiling, and debugging practices
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.