GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help change the way we secure GitHub. We are looking for an experienced Senior Security Engineer to evolve and advance the cloud security posture of GitHub and its ecosystem.
As a Senior Security Engineer, you will work alongside other members of the GitHub Security, IT, and Engineering organizations to help drive technical direction for all things cloud security. Senior Cloud Security Engineers at GitHub are self-starters, able to work autonomously in ambiguous environments, and collaborative natural problem solvers with experience automating and integrating disparate technologies. You should have strong problem-solving skills, excellent communication skills, a deep technical understanding of modern cloud and containerized security threats, the ability to influence people from customers to managers through technical solutions, and the desire to be an integral contributor to securing GitHub systems.
Senior Security Engineer Responsibilities
- Collaborate with Engineering teams across GitHub to design, build, and validate secure and scalable architectures in the cloud.
- Implement information security controls and patterns that support risk assessments and the development of secure architectures.
- Identify and mitigate risks throughout our corporate and production environments.
- Identify opportunities for process improvement, including developing and implementing internal security tools, tactics, and procedures.
- Provide security-related guidance and documentation.
- 8+ years or more of demonstrable proficiency in security engineering
- Minimum 3 years of experience building or managing Cloud Platforms, Products, or Services
- Experience with one or more major cloud service providers (AWS, Google Cloud, or Microsoft Azure)
- Deep understanding of cloud service architecture and cloud security concepts
- The ability to take a pragmatic, risk-based approach to decision making while applying practical security principles and practices
- Experience performing threat modeling and design reviews to assess security implications and requirements for introducing new technologies
- Ability to produce concise and quality technical documentation
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- At least 2 years of experience in Cloud Security especially implementing Azure security controls
- Extensive experience building security solutions, ideally for cloud services
- Prior experience with securing Cloud Platforms and Services Experience working with cloud security and governance tools, cloud security posture management (CSPM), and server virtualization technologies
- Experience writing tools using Python
- Experience with Azure Resources deployment and Azure Policy
- Excellent presentation skills and experience presenting to management
Why join GitHub Security
As one of the largest developer platforms in the world, GitHub has unique challenges and is a great place to move the needle on developer productivity and software security at internet scale. Every product improvement we do affects tens of millions of developers worldwide and makes their lives easier.
Ability to meet GitHub, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft, GitHub’s parent company, Cloud Screen upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.