GitHub helps companies and organizations succeed by allowing them to build better software, together.
We're looking for experienced, technical-minded professionals who want to work in partnership with senior leaders, engineers, and technical teams at our most strategic customers, focused on accelerating and growing their success with GitHub Advanced Security. You will specifically be a key expert in supporting customers with GitHub Advanced Security’s Code Scanning capability.
The ideal candidate shows a passion to master GitHub’s code scanning technology, modern application development, and how security vulnerabilities occur in applications today.
Field Architects are also recognized as senior subject matter experts, in part by their activity in supporting customers where they are (including via industry groups, technical committees, and research opportunities), and by using their ability to synthesize customer experience to provide an industry lens in public presentations and writing in addition to supporting a variety of diverse internal teams, including sales professionals, product management, engineering, and marketing in efforts that ensure that GitHub, and our customers, are successful, together.
We're obsessed about our customers and the quality of our work. If you are technically sharp and people oriented, you might be a fit for this role!
- Be able to communicate the details, direction, and design of the GitHub Advanced Security product
- Deep knowledge of CodeQL, our industry-leading semantic code analysis engine, and be able to communicate base queries for a variety of customer languages.
- Support customers in understanding their code scanning results
- Act as Advanced Security escalation point for regional customers as well as Sales team members
- Based in Australia and able to work across time zones
- Experience in program analysis / static analysis with a security focus
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time as and when it is safe to do so
- Willing to go the extra mile with a strong work ethic; self-directed and resourceful
- Team-oriented and possess strong collaboration skills
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- 4+ years of customer facing experience in technical sales, architecture/solutions engineering, technical consulting, system integration or project management
- 3+ years of Software development, Engineering, Software Architecture, and/or Technical Support experience
- Understand the value of DevSecOps processes
- Able to relate technical concepts to customers of all technical backgrounds
- Knowledge of the Software Development Lifecycle and related tools
- Specific knowledge about application security processes, static analysis testing, and security principles
- Knowledge of common security flaws such as cross-site scripting, ability to explain them and familiarity with best practices to avoid them
Preferred Qualifications: (Not required)
- Executive level communication skills (both written and verbal) and the ability to mentor others.
- Passionate about software, technology and business
- Knowledge of Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) architecture, GitHub Actions, tools and workflows
- Experience with relational databases
- Experience with Query languages; query optimisation; code generation.
- In depth experience of performing methods such as static analysis; dynamic analysis; control flow; data flow and information flow; security analysis; program transformation; taint analysis; taint tracking.
- Experience with logic programming and declarative programming languages and techniques (e.g. Prolog, Datalog, Haskell, ML).
Appendix: Responsibilities - skills
Customer interaction: Adept at working with large and strategic corporations with minimal oversight. Possess Technical and Business skills, including:
- Ability to present vision and strategy to CxOs as well as have deeply technical discussions with Engineering leads.
- Flexibility and skill to adapt conversations or messaging on the fly regardless of the participants.
- Familiarity with the Challenger sales methodology
Internal collaboration: Engage in cross functional collaboration within GitHub, including Sales, Professional Services, Technical Product Management, Product Marketing, Engineering, and Marketing. Work with these teams to understand and convey deep customer needs, product roadmap and direction, as well as detailed product and technical capabilities.
- Be an internal expert on customer and industry trends
- Advocating for customer interests within GitHub by communicating customer feedback and perspectives to appropriate teams to be considered in product strategy
- Mentor, pair, and delegate work to encourage the professional and technical growth of those around you
External Collaboration: Build a network of leaders, tastemakers/influencers, and customers to inform your own knowledge of the product and corporate landscape as well as position GitHub as an integral part of the security space. Become a trusted partner with leadership at GitHub’s strategic customers, allowing GitHub to provide an enhanced experience, as well as be better able to position GitHub for future sales opportunities. Build relationships with key decision makers, visiting customers on-site, and serving as a trusted advisor and point of contact
- Learn about customers' successes and challenges
- Bring insights to your efforts that cross territories, regions, and industries
- Participate in working groups, panels, working groups, and industry forums to share your insight
GitHub Advanced Security, Code Scanning expertise: Possesses deep technical knowledge of GitHub’s Code Scanning features capabilities as part of the GitHub Advanced Security product to be able to position them to customers, as well as provide timely answers to their technical questions. You understand the code analysis landscape and market segment, and the needs of users and developers. You are knowledgeable about GitHub’s CodeQL technology.
- Understanding of application SAST/DAST principals, varieties of vulnerabilities and market landscape.
- Strong knowledge of the security community and application security in general
- Ability to write non-trivial QL, our revolutionary declarative logic programming language, to develop sophisticated queries for finding security vulnerabilities.
- Collaborate with the GitHub Security Labs team, the Open Source community and GitHub’s Enterprise customers to create the best analysis libraries possible.
Business Development: Be a partner to the field sales team. Help them understand and improve the relationship with their customers. customer happiness, and plans to assess market opportunity for GitHub Products and Services and aligning resources to meet business goals
- Provide limited, impactful support to High Potential and Strategic sales opportunities as agreed upon by regional leadership
- Identifying customer business requirements and matching them to product features
- Building joint customer strategies with enterprise sales and field services to encourage product adoption
- Support projects and initiatives that provide sales acceleration opportunities
Represent GitHub: You will be a leader for your market and represent GitHub at customer and partner meetings as well as small and large events. You will be a key resource supporting GitHub to hit aggressive sales targets.
- Deliver live product demonstrations, sales presentations, and lead clients through proof of technology for GitHub products
- Helping customers integrate GitHub products with their existing tools, workflows, and processes
- Public speaking and outreach (including Demand Generation, Public Relations, Analyst Relations, Webinars and Customer Evidence)
- Represent GitHub at local, regional, national, and international events
Other Duties as assigned.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.