Do you want to make software development a delight for the entire world? Join us at GitHub! We are delivering the best end to end software development experiences across GitHub and Azure DevOps.
We’re looking for world-class backend software engineers to join GitHub’s Mac Cloud team. On this team, we build, deploy, and maintain the Mac infrastructure that allows our users to execute Mac CI/CD jobs on GitHub Actions and Azure DevOps Pipelines. In this role, you will have the opportunity to work as an engineer with a distributed, diverse, and passionate team delivering features and improvements to the stack. You’ll work with our team of engineers to build and scale our infrastructure by developing systems on top of our control plane, monitoring solutions, and other software. Additionally, you’ll partner with internal teams to deploy hardware in Azure and work with Product and other Compute teams to determine and adjust capacity needs. While this is primarily a software development role, there are opportunities to go deeper on the hardware side as we evolve our infrastructure.
- Write, test, instrument, document, and maintain code primarily in Python
- Opportunities to work with partners in Azure and system integrator/manufacturers on hardware design and deployment strategy
- Learn, pair, and participate in code reviews, to grow and contribute to the growth of others in and around your team
- Collaborate closely with Product and partner Engineering teams to build new features
- Analyze how your features are performing in production to learn and make the product better
- Support a highly available service used by millions of users on a daily basis
- Participate in on-call rotations for your team and respond to incidents as necessary
- You have a BS (or higher, e.g., MS, or PhD) in Computer Science or a related technical field involving coding (e.g., physics or mathematics), or equivalent technical experience
- Strong object-oriented design skills gained from 5+ years of industry work with OOP languages and patterns. Experience with Python is preferred, but not required.
- Experience with infrastructure automation and tools like Ansible, Hashicorp Terraform, Puppet, Chef, etc is preferred, but not required
- Real-world experience delivering high quality software through the application of testing and observability patterns
- Excellent analytical skills as well as communication skills both verbal and written. We are a distributed team so we’re extra mindful about communication.
- Passionate about healthy team culture and collaboration
- Experience designing, building and running large scale and highly available cloud services or distributed systems preferred
- Troubleshooting skills across network, caching, queuing, load-balancing storage and distributed services layers preferred
Please note that this application is for GitHub Engineering and you may have the opportunity to be considered for multiple teams.
Ability to meet GitHub, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft, GitHub’s parent company, Cloud Screen upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.